1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hiring a new employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kilman's, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

I am hiring a guy with about a one year experience, I am just wondering what would be a good wage to start him at?
  2. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Is he going to be a crew leader? maybe someone you can send to a job and know it will get done right? Up here, I pay $12.50 for a fellow like that with 3 years. I have another fellow I pay $9 with 1 year experience, but he has to be constantly watched. I have found that a little extra goes a long way in making a fellow feel good about his job. But I can afford to pay more, not everybody can with different hourly rates all over the country.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would test him to see what he really knows. The fact that he has done the work for a year does not really mean much except he can work through a summer outdoors. I would'nt start him at less than 10.00 and maybe as much as 12.00 or 13.00 if he is consistent and has some common sense. I am not so impressed by the go fast guys, as I am by the go everyday, and don't break anything guys.
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

$6.00/hr with a 10 cent raise each week. that way he stays around cause he gets another raise in a few days. start him higher and you wont be able to give him a raise for a few months, so he'll leave you for a job at taco bell.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the bigger operations around here only pay $8 per hr. I pay $9 per hr. to start. I will kick bonuses out when we are on higher profit jobs, but only if the employee is an outstanding worker and cognizant of what is going on around him with the ability to react to it in a positive (for the company) fashion. Bonuses are usually in the area of an extra $50.

As we grow, if I get a guy that is willing to stick around I would envision relying on him heavily to manage the lawn maintenance branch of business, that is providing we expand the hardscape/landscape side. This would obviously merit IMO a much larger salary and cost sharing of bennies.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

You Can Always Give Someone A Raise So I Would Go $10 Or $11 To Start With And $1 After 90 Days If Everything Works Out. If In That 90 Days Theyre Doin Great You Can Even Throw In A Bonus Here And There ,its Un Expected And They Will Work Harder After (hopefully).
  7. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Interesting idea...
  8. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info:waving:
  9. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Pay him a percentage that way he can work as fast or as slow as he wants, if he doesn't workout find some one els.
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i kinda like this idea aswell. similar to what i'm thinking. my idea is start them at $6.00 per hour for 30 days. if they stay the whole 30 days then give them a bonus. say $250. do this every month and that will get them to stay the whole month. it only comes out to an average of $7.56 per hour. if they quit before working the required 160 hours a month then they don't receive the bonus. what do you all think?