?? Hiring a Spray Tech

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I need to hire a Good Spray Tech.

What Should I look for in the way of a Good Spray Tech. Shouldn't I hire an inexperienced person so I can train them my way? I think I should at least hire some one who has had some experience in Lawn Mowing. Attitude is the first thing I will look at.

Should I try to find someone who has cool season turf experience but not warm season. That way they have some background but will do it my way because they haven't done thing different on warm season Turf.

Should I hire an Experienced Spray Tech on Warm Season Turf and be done with it?? Just let them know it my way or the highway.

Since there is a college that offers Turf Management near me should I make that a perk?

What am I missing?? Please any Idea would be helpful. How do you do It?

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

my 2 cents -
    I have found in my hiring days that look for attitude first. I have the best employees who have had zip experience but a good attitude. You also want to find someone who can think. do not be afraid to ask them what they would do if this or that happens (during the interview).
    I have had a lot of trouble with experienced people because they think they know it all. They learned one way and beleive it is right. even thought they may talk good in the interview they have failed to perfrom to my standards which are very high.
    I also ask interviewies about there hobbies, interest, past time activities. If they are active it is a + if they are couch potatoes????

hope it will help....

3. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Spraying grass isn't rocket science. Find someone with a good attitude, enough ability to pass the test and respectable appearance. A person that you would be proud to introduce to your best customer. From reading your posts I gather that you have the expertise needed to do a good job treating lawns. No need to buy that again. Train them your way. After you have the guy around for a season, you'll know if you want to invest any additional training in him/her.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Ric,
    I like the 'hire the inexperienced' route. However, sometimes its hard to give to new guy the time he needs when things get hectic.
    Though lawn care is not 'rocket science' as mentioned above, I expect all employees to be as knowledgeable as scientist.

I have hired the experienced guy, but he just brings in bad habits he aquired from former employers. (hard to teach an old dog new tricks)

You mentioned a turf management college near by? We have had some success hiring from our local university on turf managment. This way we get the younger guy who doesnt have the hands on experience, yet has some book learnin. It has worked out well for us. Down side is he is ussually only a one season employee. Our university has a web site that we post job openings on for free.

Anyway, I'm still lookin for the guy with the big 'S' on his tee shirt (you know, superman)

Ahh employees, they all want top dollar, best benifits/perks and as little work as possible....hmmm thats what I want too :)

Good luck

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

OK I am in agreement with the inexperienced spray guy with a good attitude. I would like some back ground in the green industry. I want to know they will STAY. That is my first choice. But where do I find that Sharpe individual????

I would like to think I have a lot to offer the right person. Three years working for me under my licenses would be a qualifier to sit for not only the CPO test, but Irrigation and Commercial Landscape. With a college right down the road that offers horticulture, This is a golden opportunity. I am 62 years old, the right person could pay there dues and end up with a biz or enough tickets to hang on any big companies wall. Florida has tough licensing laws, but that just makes them more valuable.

No I am not looking for a rocket scientist. I am looking for a shape individual that wants a future.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Is Ric's business going to assist financially in the education? In exchange for a 2-3 years commitment to work exclusively for Ric after degree and/or licenses are attained?

Is there someone good enough in Ric's employ presently, or among his aquaintences, that would respond to such an offer?

A relative of mine was put through nursing school by her employer. Employer paid all tuition, all books, $2K cash for incidentals, and set up work schedule so she could manage studies. Even though this business has changed hands twice since, her loyalty to the place that gave her that break keeps her working there.

Think way back, guy, you remember others who did that back in 50s thru early 70s, usually with big companies. It is still a good system today for small business.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jim

You passed the interview

Yes Jim you are hired college tuition and all. Be here by April 1 to start training. Be sure to bring your long-johns it can get real cold here. we had one night of high 30s and one day time temp of only 50 in January. I will not ride my motorcycle until it gets up to 80 and had to wait until February to ride it this year. In summer that cool Gulf breeze can be a son of a gun. Forget your fishing pole our fish are too big to eat.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if I can transfer my IN license, by testing or whatever, I ought to be worth a lot more than normal, then. But if I have to give up salmon and steelhead fishing, my salary just went up $50K a year.

But I must have vacation the 2nd and 3rd week of July, and maybe the 4th also, if the Skamania run is late; you can't keep me away from that for any $$$. (Am I fired yet?)

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jim

No need to take a test or transfer your license. Your picture and my signature plus $ 10.00 and my training Puts you legal to spray under My license-certification. Yep I would be your boss man and it is My way or the hwy. However I am not all Penedajo. I am willing to try your ideas. But only after you do it my way first. If you see something you think I am doing wrong or could do better I am willing to give it a try.

I guess I should all so tell you that part of your job will be doing Irrigation from time to time. That means You would also qualify to take the irrigation test. All so you would asks to spray plants in both of are nurseries and I guess that would mean you could also sit for the commercial landscape contractors test. Darn that mean in three years you could have all the same licenses that I have. Would you like my two children expends also. They are not very expensive all you would have to pay is there College expends at the U of Miami. That includes there cars, My boy only has a Accra with some kind of vortex engine that does 15 sec 1/4 mile. But my daughter (the former Miss Charlotte County) doesn't race her 325 BMW. Now you know why I drive a 1975 Ford Pinto :D

Personally I can not see traveling back up north to catch Salmon or steel head. In July we have the best Tarpon fishing in the world right here in Boca Grande Pass. Each July Over a $100,000 dollars is given away in the worlds richest Fishing rodeo. However it is your life and if you insist on fishing for guppies have it your way. July would be non paid vacation for I only give two weeks at Xmas New Year as paid vacation. If this is a deal breaker then I am sorry.

$50 K per year ROFLMAO Sorry Jim this is Florida You know the State that is tiring to beat Mississippi for last place in Educaction.

10. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Ric, how much does the job pay? I have a CA QAL, 3 years exp., and have taken over 40 units of OH classes at the local College.
    ................................and I have a great attitude :D