hiring costs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, May 30, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we use 2 riders, thinking of hiring a teen to do the trimming and blowing this summer. hopefully they can be done when the riding is done, for we can move onto the next job. might save some time i think cause trimming takes us 15 to 30 minutes more after mowing. how much should i pay a teen and yes we take taxes out. would $7.00 an hour be it or is it too much?
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have notmet anyone who will do trim work for $7.00 per hour, and I do not blame them, $9.00 to $12.00 per hour is more like it (Depending on experience)
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ditto. You can't expect anyone to work a labor intensive job for $7 (which is also under minimum wage in CT). they will rather take orders @ McD's or greet people at WallyWorld for $7
  4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Thats under min. even up here in Vt. Right now I have one guy at 10, one at 12, one just starting, the other had worked part time for me before. As the others saidm, at min wage, they might as well look for something easier in an a/c building.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

minimum wage isn't the same everywhere.. its only 5.15 here in kentucky. so i'd say 7.00 hr is a good starting point for trimming. bump em up if they are worth a damn after a month to 8.00....
  6. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

7 or 9 an hour,,,lol, thats a joke! in my neck of the woods Every one pays the help about 6.50 an hour to start out with, and they want you to have a drivers license and experience.thats all the big companys! If i was you, start him out low and if he proves his self in a week or two then give him what he is worth.First get to see if he can handle the job.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The local Checkers is hiring at $10 per hr part time lunch help

I can't hire anyone under 18 ....my W/C won't cover'm

Start our 2 cycle guys out at $8.50 ..... thou many locals start at $7.50 .....but than again they go threw 200 guys per summer
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If I were a teenager, I would rather go to the mall and **** off all summer than work outside in the heat, humidity, insects, bees, etc., for some of these ridiculous hourly rates...give me a break already. :laugh:

reason : language
  9. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

$7 an hour here to start any kind of job is pretty good. Minimum wage is just going up to $6.50 next month. Everybody starts at minimum wage around here.
  10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Local restaurants and grocery stores pay $5.50 to $6.50 per hour. I pay my guy (16 years old) $8.00 per hour and he works his ass off.