Hiring Employees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreensKeepers, Sep 22, 2006.

1. GreensKeepers

GreensKeepers LawnSite Member

I have been in business a year and am to the point I need to hire a crew. I was wondering how you that have been doing this a while pay your employees (per yard or per hour) and what is a good rate to pay them?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it depends on the state Labor Laws. Everyone that I know pay their employees by the hour. I think that in most states that is the law (I could be wrong). I do know that if you have them as "Legitimate" employees, thay cannot receive less than minimum wage. So if they are on the clock for 8 hours, and only cut one yar, you cannot pay them $10, it would not meet the minimum wage requirement. Check with your Labor Department and see what is required.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

If You Find Someone With Mechanical Skill And Shows Up On Time For Three Weeks . With 1 Ton Truck And Don't Hide! Worth Their Wieght In Gold!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In this area the rates are around $8.50 to $10.00. Crew chiefs/drivers make more money. We use the H2B program but that is expensive but seems to be working. Those workers start below $7.00 as required by the program agreement.
  5. Keith's Lawn Service

Keith's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

If you have the work and you worry about slackers, put them on a salery... Be carefull and look into insureing them, Worksman comp, and unemployment insurance. Take all those numbers and see if its in your budget to employ people. Thats why big componies get the high rates they charge... If you pay them $7.00/hour you might be paying $2.50 more an hour in insurance per person you hire...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I personally advise another year of solo op under your belt, as a minimum of 2 years experience is highly recommended before hiring employees.

It has to do with answering their thousand questions, and knowing the solution to most anything that can and will go wrong... The time wasted when someone is on the clock and you do not immediately know the answer is what this boils down to, not to mention you'll be better able to train as well. Also you need more experience in seeing the rip-offs and the scams coming: Customers are TWICE as likely to try and pull a fast one on your hired help as compared to you - Customers who wouldn't dream of trying to pull one on you may not hesitate to try it on your helper... The same applies to employees, you will need a keen eye and an experienced mind to spot the bad apples coming so they can do little to no financial damage to your operation.

I am not sure if this applies in your case, but I can see a picture of a boat in my mind, it's my boat and it represents my company.
    Back in my first year I remember the boat leaked so much water that the deck was level with the ocean, while five years later the bilges are basically dry, there is about a pint of water in a corner and a few drips of condensation running down the sides here and there - this represents watertight integrity, also has to do with how well your company holds its money and if she leaks, that's bad news.
    Now all companies leak a little, but nothing more than a rag and couple of squeezes can't wipe up.
    So if you can see your boat and you still go below to bail water OR you can see or feel the drag of several feet of leakage, then you're not ready.

just my .002
  7. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I just hire mexicans. I pay the good ones 12 an hr, but sometimes its better to pay by the day.