1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Evacuees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Does anyone have any plans in the future to hire any Evacuees who may have ended up in their state?

Here in Austin we have about 5K, and with just a few months left I don't think I can swing anything until the Spring, in which I'll have 2-3 openings.

I say this in the most respectful way, but perhaps this could be an end to the H2B shortage. Hire AMERICANS, who are willing to work their butts off, earn a good wage for them and their families, and we can keep it in the country.

Any thoughts?
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

send em north
  3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Unfortunately I don't have the means to do that. Aren't you getting ready for ski season up there anyway? :cool:

Perhaps some of our Dallas and Houston friends have some input?
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure after what they are going through they will have a different outlook on life. I am sure many would make darn fine employees. It's a fact that a person who has a higher value of a $1 will work harder for a $10/hr job then some guy that has an easy life and thinks $10 isn't good enough for him.
  5. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

Howard - did the images you saw really make you think that "those people" are the type, "who are willing to work their butts off?"

As a whole, I would say absolutely not, with exception, of course. jeff
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt they will work for a lawn care company who doesn't pay much for the amount of work exerted. I am afraid lawn care work is near the bottom rung what most people had in mind to make a living.

Hopefully whatever community they settle in they can find work for what they are used to doing (i.e. office work, construction work,etc.).
  7. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

For the most part, the images you saw on TV were the people who did not have the means to get the heck out of town before the storm hit. That was 25,000 to 50,000 out of a city of 500,000. So simple math says that there were 450,000 from New Orleans alone that are scattered throughout the country and are not of the group that you saw so much of on TV.

As always what you see on the news is the worst. They don't like putting good news on TV, not to say that there was any good news in the disaster. What I'm saying is that of the people who got out before the storm, there are lots of decent folks who are displaced with no homes or if they have homes won't be back in them for a long time.

Have a great day,
  8. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

I'll tell you what if one of the"refugees" would make there way here. I would give them a shot, even if for a few months why you may ask? because it could have been one of us fortunate one's down there and I sure as s*** appreciate someone giving me a helping hand even if it was stained with grass:)
  9. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Well said! You just never know what life holds just around the corner. Anything can happen. You just never know when it might be to you.

Have a great day,
  10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with ynvbr--if they act like they really want a job, give 'em a chance.

I was in Gulfport over the weekend, just to help serve food and sort the supplies coming into the area. From what I saw (and probably Gulfport is not near as bad off as New Orleans and possibly Biloxi) there won't be many evacuees staying away for long. They will be getting back home and starting to rebuild their lives. Where I was, the biggest problems are power and water--people have places to stay if they are not in bad health and can tolerate the heat without air conditioning. And the water is coming back on but still has to be boiled for drinking, which is difficult if there is no power. Food and drinking water and fuel are reaching the area and being distributed. Many people are already repairing their homes and businesses and helping neighbors get the work done. Power crews, water system people, law enforcement and all kinds of tree and construction people are already in the area working.

People acting like they care about each other--ain't it great?