1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hiring family

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, May 14, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

How many offers do you get from your family members "hey, do you need any help? Billy Bob (your cousin) needs a job & he's a real goooood worker".
    Yea rite, been there, done that twice. Dont work out so good. First was my wifes 18 year old "spoiled" brother. Didnt last 3 hours before he was whinning about how tired & hot he was. Next day, no show. Then last year my step daughters uncle (RV salesman that got layed off) called me. "Man, I gotta do somethin to pay these bills, can I help you for a while?" he lasted a whole day, actually a lite day. Called me latter that night saying he was soaking his sore feet, didnt think job was for him :p .
    How many stories you got?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Asked a brother to help get caught up last saturday. ONE lawn. I pay $8 an hour. So Monday rolls around and he says "you still owe me $7 from helping you Saturday." I said you already spent that on the pizza and stuff we ordered. He: "What do you mean, a $28 lawn divided by two is $14 a piece." I laughed my arse off! He demanded half of the lawn.

By the way the lawn took 35 minutes, so i was generous by giving him a full hours wage.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I love it! Heck if he thinks he gets half of the moneyearned, then he can pay half of all the business expences. Flash some of the bills in his face and see how well that goes
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh ya, the WHOLE family tore him a new @$$ because of his stupid ass comments. The thing was, he thought he did half the work so he gets half the pay.

I said well go out and join a builder crew, build the house then demand half of what the house sells for HAHAHA.

He came back... "Well i make $8.25 at my other job..(lifeguarding)" Today (5/14/04) we find out he doesnt even have a job lifeguarding anymore because they dont wanna hire him back. So just a few minutes ago he asked if i needed any help!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Done it! It won't happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have worked for my father-in-law for 2 years.......... we work very well together.
  7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

This year will be the 10th year working with my cousin's company. I Guess family members are like real workers when it comes down to business, yiu win some and you loose some.
  8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess my name says it all.
  9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i had my wife work with me first couple years in business, also her brothers have worked with me on and off with no problems...
  10. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

8 out of 10 of my employees are family. I can trust family with my life, a stranger never