hiring handicap?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 19, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

in my quest for finding employees, that last more then a month, i had a thought. I have a 20 year old cousin who's attending college locally. he's "mildly" handicap. he dosen't have down syndrome, or autism, but you can tell by looking at this face that something is different. He's similar, but not as bad as "Rain Man". He helps my grandparents working in the yard, and he's very thorough. tell him to do something, and he does it. He's a math wiz, but has trouble with tieing his shoes. would you consider hiring someone like that? i think it could go completely either way.
  2. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Are you solo? if so i would. if you are sending him out with a crew then no.
  3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Or, if he's a math wiz, have him recalculate your estimates based on cents per square inch. Or have him handle your financial dealings with customers..... or, just take him to Vegas for a weekend ;-)
  4. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

I'd give him a chance and supervise closely. I hired a person as you described and it worked out well. We had to give him one task at a time and he did a great job. He was the first to work, the last to leave, and had the best attitude of any employee I've ever had. He would give 110% every day. I had one crew leader that was very accomadating and would work with him. I had another crew leader that wouldn't work with the "rain man". In my eyes the second crew leader had a bigger handicap. If you have employees, make sure they are mature enough to work with your new employee.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you'll be ok. Just stay close to him in the beginning till he gets the hang of things. Tell him what you want done and do it yourself so he can see how something is accomplished. Then let him try the task and over any constructive points from yourself.

Good Luck...
  6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

he might be a great worker because he wants the job bad just guessing. also if you show him what you want him doing he will work but you have to have time to cope with him and get over the rough parts

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I believe some of the best workers are the "handicaped". As long as the person can realize the dangers and work in a safe manner than yes, I think it would work.
    The best part of working with "handicaped" people is that they are not handicaped by the thought of always getting out of work and how to do as little as possable, Which is the thing most young people suffer from today.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not......and i will leave it at that.

9. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Man give it a try. My sister has downs syndrome and she has worked at Kroger's store for five years. She has never had a complaint either.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the McDonalds that I service hires the handicapped to clean and trash duty, etc. They are thorough but do you think that this person could handle dangerous (let alone expensive) equipment. Im all for giving a person a chance, but is it worth HIS safety?