Hiring help, full time or part time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Dec 16, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I left 6 fall clean ups on the table this season. I was unable to get to them due to weather conditions. However if I had a crew of 2 or 3 guys they would have been done. I do not want to leave that on the table again next season. I work a 7-3 full time job as well (Mon-Fri). Doing most of my clean ups on Sat. and Sunday's as well as landscaping projects. I didn't know if anyone had any luck finding dependable part time help throughout the season. I would like to pick up about 10-15 more accounts making it around 40 customers total, I would think that would keep 2 partimers (and myself after 3pm) busy for awhile every week. Do I push for more commercial accounts or stick with the few I have and go for more residential? I would love to be able to go "door to door" to places of business but I can not due to my work schedule. And then there is the quality factor. If I send 2 guys out one with experience and the other with limited experience how will the lawns look? I'm sure not as nice as I would have them look. So there is a customer satisfaction issue. Oh my God I am loosing my mind!:dizzy: :dizzy: :confused: Help!
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

most part-time help is even more transitional than full-time help. What you might do is advertise for part-time help and get people who just want some extra money. Just be prepared to go thru them.

Sending out people without your supervision or lots of time showing them what you expect (read as working with them) is a recipe for disaster.

If you get a guy who can work with you after 3 and on Saturdays, you should be able to increase production by at least 50%. 6 hours of work done in 4. Plug that into your numbers and see if that works.