Hiring help?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by realtree27, Feb 26, 2007.

1. realtree27

realtree27 LawnSite Member
    from harrah

How do most of you guys find the people you hire? What do you do to get people?

2. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Depending on how many people you need. We have some friends who are school teachers and have the summer off. Also, firemen are good part-timers because of their schedules. These are generally good trustworthy people to hire. If you need alot of people, try temp. services. Just some ideas.

3. realtree27

from harrah

how exactly does a temp servic work? Do i just get the guys from there and they work for me as long as they want?
    Thanks

4. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Well, truthfully it's not the best deal going. Most require a minimum amount of employees(maybe 10)before they do business. Some will let you have 1 or 2. You will have to inquire because I don't know each company's min./max. Also, you will not pay workman's comp. At least not directly. The temp. service charges 40% to 50% more on their wages. So, if you pay $8.00 hr., you will pay the temp. service $12.00 hr. The service pays worker's comp., s.s. and FICA on employess. Please don't quote me on this because it could be different where you are.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am having good luck with Craig's list, 5 resumes and 2 hires, in 5-days both American citizens with drivers licenses. I overpay and I show them there is a career opportunity not just a job. I also provide benefits.

Temp services will give you as few or as many as you want but they are mostly worthless. Would you do whatever kind of work for 7 per hour? Thats the kind of people they get. They pay daily if that is any indication of the type of workforce they have.

My advice, overpay for your help but don't hesitate to fire them if they are not working out. Good help can launch or break a company.

6. realtree27

from harrah

Thanks for the advice guys!!

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Just remember, you have to have workmans comp, and pay taxes on that employee. Its not just in what you pay them. If you are looking for a full time employee, you may want to consider employee leasing. It works like the temp agancy, except your hourly rate would be alot cheaper, and you pick te employee. The agency (better temp agencys will offer this) covers the workmans comp, ect. You just pay the agency by the hour.

I found that in my state, it cost me less to lease one employee than to pay workmans comp and insurance on just one employee, and I am going to have less headaches.