1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Immigrant Workers/Subcontractors

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Georgiehopper, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

I use a Hispanic subcontractor who I really like, but he's run into some problems with green cards, temporary employment status, etc.....

I'm very concerned that he is going to get booted out of the country. We've contacted a lawyer who specializes in this kind of stuff, but I'm still worried that we're going to lose him.

Is there anything that my company can do to help this guy stay in the country? Any ideas?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Been there..done that. I just kept hitting dead ends. The lawyers who tell you they can help will charge you big money and can not garentee they will be successful. Its a very tough situation with no easy way out.
  3. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

Yes, the lawyer said she would charge the guy around $5000. He had already paid out $2000 to someone who was called an "Oratorio" which I'd never heard of..... this oratorio was supposed to file forms for our subcontractor but never did....so our guy is in trouble.