1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hiring management people

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mikeny, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

Long time reader, first time poster. My dilemma is for the first time in company history I want to hire a salesman/Business manager. Someone who will return phone calls, set up appointments, sell at least smaller jobs, send out bills, pick up payments when needed, make sure we have permits, products and so on. I like sales but am much happier working the production end than being on the phone.
    I hope this thread turns into a why we hire a position and what we expect from that person.
  2. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Mike , I'm in the exact same boat. I just went back into business after working for someone else for a few years. Things have taken off quickly and I find myself actually loosing jobs because I can't get the estimates done quick enough while also making sure production is going smoothly. Problem is, I can't find someone who can sell like me. When I was in business before, I hired 2 more designers to sell and do bids, both veterans, neither could sell enough to cover their salaries. Less than a quarter of what I was selling. I've finally decided to hire someone part time to pick up the slack and see how that goes. They can do site evals. and base plans and then I'll come in and finalize drawings and help close until I feel they can do it on their own.