Hiring my first employee

Discussion in 'Employment' started by boomhower1, Jan 20, 2014.

1. boomhower1

boomhower1 LawnSite Member

Ease up man. I have applicants. I appreciate your enthusiasm for pessimism, but, I'm going to run my business the best way I know how. I'm not going to pay someone more than I can afford. Im hiring someone with experience because this position "REQUIRES" one to work on his own. See, I also have fert/weed control, pest control and sales to do. I will pay someone what the deserve based on local market value. You pay your guys what you want chief.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You're area might be different but around me you won't find a person capable of doing a solo route for less than $16 an hour. Chances are if they're capable they're doing it on their own. Just my .02

You're better off working with him for a month or so to get him acclimated with how things are done, you could also ask Georgialawn, he's in kind of the same situation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

We have a great program in TN where the state helps with pre screening etc.. And TN is offering several diff. Financial incintives for hiring right now esp. Vets. Check and see if you have something similar ours is called TN career ans developement center and or Tn career center.
    Cost 0 to use I had 40 plus apps today one has degree in landscape design and construction from UT did 6 month internship in formal gardens in Italy and is asking for 9.25 hour to start. He has been working for competitor here.
    Hiring good people just comes down to looking in right spot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. boomhower1

boomhower1 LawnSite Member

Now that is a response. Thank You.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I hire college aged kids May thru August. Have gotten lucky so far. Gets a little hairy in Sept and Oct as I am swinging those two months myself, but so far I have managed.

I don't think I can find post-college adults willing to work only seasonally (I do snow solo and will never hire for that).

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

what about school teachers just starting out? young maybe doesn't have a family yet? a little older than the college kids, but same basic schedule.

this industry is actually full of adults who only work seasonally… you're one of them :laugh:

7. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Good help is hard to find. I wouldn't personally hire the college grad. He will be gone at first better opportunity. Hire someone you like working with. We always hire people from different law cares that have been fired for reasons that won't affect them here. I got one that didn't punch the code to close the gate at a retirement home and had a Alzheimer's patient walk out and one wrecked the bosses truck while texting. They were fired. I'm the only person that drives my truck. They are very good workers. I don't have time to teach people that don't know how to start a trimmer.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You know what's funny about the whole Alzhiemer's patient thing?
    The kid who didn't close the gate gets paid $12/hr. The Aide that works there watching over a dozen patients gets paid $9-10/hr and the patients that stay there pay tens and tens of thousands to stay there (either through their families, estates or insurance) and SOMEHOW…it's the LAWN MOWER KID'S fault the patient got out.

That's like trusting a $9/hr employee with the secret sauce to mcdonalds big mac recipe! Look how that turned out for Big D? Now everyone knows what the 'special sauce' is.

I wouldn't have fired a kid for that.
    Even if I lost the contract.

THAT would have been MY fault.

Tell you what bruno, check all the gates, everything is done properly, take pics with your cell with a time/date stamp that all the gates are locked, and there is an EXTRA $100 in it for you.
    No checks. no pics. no bucks.

but expecting a 12/hr employee to not forget something and endanger your contract?? yeeeeah…NOT the kids fault.
    Give him a reason/incentive and it WILL get done.

9. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. He has been with me for four years. I have my headaches but for 90 percent of the time he is a loyal, hard working hand. You don't pay someone 10 dollars an hr and give him responsibility that can cost you tens of thousands.

10. Twinlakes

Twinlakes LawnSite Member

Curious how many of your applicants were/are still wanting interviews?

Interviewing applicants in a few weeks?
    I can't even get someone to show up on time; much less a few weeks from now. Thoroughly respect that situations vary.
    Please follow-up with results.