hiring people and keeping them help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Sep 6, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i always like to bring a guy out for 14 hours a week to work with me but cannot not keep anyone. anyone else with this problem? they get 10.00 a hour and paid lunch and all i run are zero turn riders. so most lawns all the work is trimming and blowing off. really tuff you know.. lol.. let me know how to keep a part timer and if my pay rate is good.. or if you know anyone looking for part time work in my area... lol... :angry: :realmad: :help:

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 16/17 year old when he's out for school in the summer. Pay him 8.00/hr under the table and explain that it's really like making 11/hr... they will work like gods.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

In my neck of the woods in Pa a going rate for a part timer is 6-7 to start then hitting MAYBE $8.00

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i hope youre just joking but if youre not, thats some really lousy advice. there are people on here that might take you up on your advice.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i thought you where beyond that.... hiring minors to use power equipment illegally with no workes comp, or unemployment, or soc security responisbility.....

are suggesting he run an illegal operation???? :angry:

is that what this come too....bad idea

it's hard to find good help and do it right, thats why when you DO you take really good care of them... its any industry, good employees are very hard to find, especially for part ;time....one with good work ethics, and values...law abiding citizens ....

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you can explain to yourself,
    Self... There is no statue of limitations on tax fraud.
    Self ... If the kid gets hurt, with no workers comp, I’m screwed.
    Self... I should get legal; all those payroll taxes are a deductible business expense.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

even if you are only 2 years older than that illegal 17 year old you talked about......there is still No doubt that your business "plan" will be taking you all the way then.............all the way to JAIL.....

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew,I should have checked that profile lol..19 and two years in business,gave forth that outstanding advise lol.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Part timers usually will work out for you if you give them at least three or four -- eight hour days a week,if you can't give them at least that much time,it's just not worth it to anyone over 18.

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

i'm available... how far are you from here?