1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Teens

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam3669, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody know if landscaping company's would be willing to hire teens?

I am 17, and I have been running my lawn care business for the past 3 years, but I wanted to get a seperate job for some extra cash.

Would I get laughed at if I went and applied at a landscaping company?

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Unfortunately to work for most compainies you will have to wait until you are 18 by law. But im positive if you talk to enough of them you will find plenty of lawn guys that will hire you now.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I admire you for wanting to work, esp in hard labor, but most states labor laws will require you be at least 18 in this business. I do though certainly however hire teens as I just hired two 19 year old college students for summer work yesterday.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

By law, to run any "heavy machinery" you must be 18. But who follows the law anymore? ;)
  5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Under 16 not allowed to operate power equipment and must have parental permission along with Dept of Labor release. 17 yrs. no problem here. Check with your local labor dept./ Wage & Hours. Different states have different laws concerning hiring. U.S. Labor Dept. has no law against hiring 17 yrs. old employees.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Which is the VERY ones you must be concerned with in the US the State Laws as I said:dizzy: , and nearly every state has a law that would prohbit or greatly reduce any work in the LCO field a teenager under 18 can/could do.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Many of the LCOs around here hire teens to work for them. Try your luck and see what happens!
    Got ot a couple dealers and see if any of there landscapers are looking for workers. Maybe leave word with the manager at a few dealerships.
    Just my $.02
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i read the law as to opperating tractors and riding mowers etc. i believe you have to be 16 to opperate anything more that 20 HP in MA, i will try to find the link to that information. There are companies that have flyers on the high school bulliten board for in our school looking for help. the local turnpike authority also has a flyer looking for anyone 16 and up for landscaping (this also involves using heavy commercial machines) so here in MA a 17 year old could be hired, don't know about other states.