Hiring the day to day guy!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheTurfTender, Apr 27, 2008.

1. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

I am thinking of hiring a guy to run the day to day operations of my business. As some of you may know, I just started this thing a few months ago (Feb), but I have grown my client base to near 30, and I have 5 estimates ready for next week so the list should continue to grow.

I just got an offer in my previous line of work that doubles my projected 2nd year REVENUE for lawn care. It may be irresponsible not to take it. That being said, I still want to run this business, and grow it into something I can focus on full time. For now, I would like to hire someone to do the actual lawn care for me. I have a guy in mind with about 10 year’s exp, and don’t mind growing with the business, so I have that part down.

I am looking for two kinds of responses.

1. Some may think I am getting in over my head, but I assure you I am up for the challenge. I would, however, like to know what kind of contingencies I should be prepared for aside from the catastrophic.

2. How should I set up the employee relationship? I have the truck, all equipment and insurance (General Lia, Bonding, Appropriate licenses, etc). I don't have worker's comp. Should I purchase it, or can I set him up as an independent contractor? What other ideas should I be thinking of on this one?

Anything else you want to throw out there I will respond to and see if I can configure a work around.

If all else fails.....I have a bunch of equipment for sale and a pretty decent client list!!!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well if you have someone who is willing to work part time and can be trusted to do a good job not to walk that is a big step. Usually it is impossible to find someone to run a business. I would think that if you are not working in the business it will be low profit and hard to build clients. I would let it go.

3. TheTurfTender

from Mn

The building clients part has not been too difficult, just a little slow. I would still be "running" the business, as I would just be in the office a year or two before anticipated. Is it going to be that much different that having a second crew?

4. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

You will need Work Comp if you are doing commercial work. Or if you are going to hire him as an independant contractor then he will need work comp then.

5. TheTurfTender

from Mn

I decided to purchase the work comp policy. It is going to cost me an extra $700. Well worth it from what I have been reading.