Hiring with no experience

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gobblet, Sep 19, 2007.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I'm about to hire this guy starting Monday that has no experience in landscaping at all. I want him mostly for Mowing and fall leaf clean-up. I'm solo right now and I know that I will not be able to do leaf clean-up's alone. Has anyone ever hired someone with no experience before. My question is he gonna be worth the aggravation. Any suggestions or commets.
  2. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

Everyone has to start somewhere, I'm sure alot here when they first worked for another company had little or no experience. Whether it will be worth it or not depends on the work ethic and common sense of the person you hire. Some are worth it and some are not.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There are definite pros to hiring someone with no experience...for starters, you can pay them a bit less. They don't have any bad habits learned from working for another LCO. You can train them to learn YOUR system how you want it done.

I find way too many guys WITH experience exaggerate their experience. Not that I wouldn't hire someone with experience, but it's not a sure thing they will work out.

My guy now, I was reluctant to hire him last year, but his family kept bugging me...he is from China of all places, no experience, and his English wasn't too good. But he's a smart guy and picked everything up quickly. His cousin said just give him a try for a couple days and if he can't hang, they would understand. After a day I knew he would work out though.
  4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

this season i hired a guy that had no experience and he's working out o.k. he works with me one day a week and my partner 2 days a week . he picks up habits from both of us so its not to bad.
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I had a part-timer 2 years ago who had no experience and worked out wonderful. Then he and his family moved out of state. Other people I hired tried their heart out to perform, and they couldn't cut it(no pun intended). My advice is to teach a new hire the skills needed to do a job, but emphasize quality over quantity. Yes, quantity is important too, but just remember that quality and quantity are equal weights on the same balance.
  6. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all these guys. Its nice to get someone who knows what they are doing. Its better to get someone with a responsible work ethic who can learn quick.
    One of our best past employees was just 16 when he started and worked for 2 years. He was at work everyday and responsible. I was glad and sad at the same time when he had to move on. But, sometimes people just need to start somewhere...or start over.
    On the flip side we go through irresponsible employees like water over Niagra.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be a good mentor to him and he should be a good employee towards you. When you hire someone with no exp, you can mold them the way you want them to become.
  8. scalpit77

scalpit77 LawnSite Member

It's all about attitude in this business. If this person has a good attitude towards life in general, shows up on time, and is willing and able to learn, he should be fine. At first you guys will be slower and not so efficient, but after they get into the swing of things you'll be much more efficient.
  9. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Wanted to add a little more about this man that wants to work for me. He is a boyfriend of a women that works with my mother and he is 47 years old, to my 31,with no experience and just lost his union job at the local brewery after 20 years. Now I agree that age is not a factor in this business after you have been doing it for a while,but is it a factor with no experience?
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a mixed bag from the comments !!