his, is twice as big, as mine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 13, 2006.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This was not exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about when I saw your name Bobby:laugh:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just tell him $30 is your minimum.
    (which it should be, as you can see lol)
  3. topsites

ahhh crap if they both want a discount and their lawns are either right next to each other OR right across the street from each other (no, not 1/2 block down doesn't count), you can do them both for 5 dollars off so long you can always do them both at the same time (you need to determine this based on turf condition, the yards need to be in similar shape) and if they say ok then everybody's happy.

This does NOT work if one yard is class-A with an active sprinkler system while the other is whatever grass (and don't tell them this or the one guy ends up turning off his sprinklers lol).
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was kidding... but it would tick me off that one disclosed the price and the other was crying even though they were paying less.

Would I go down in price? NO.

Want to know what I would really honestly truthfully say in this situation?
    "Well just to be frank with you sir, the truth is, I really should be charging your neighbor with twice as much for his lawn. At least a good $60-70 a cut. But I tried to be nice and cut the guy some slack since I have you on this street too and his lawn keeps me in one place longer. Here I have tried to do something nice for someone, and had it backfire on me the other way."

Now that's what I would say... and I have said it. Learned that one by accident (because it really was true) and I picked up real quick on the fact of how much more effective that is than any other explaination is. So I am either saying it because it is true, or I am saying it to be a smart@ss to a couple of smart@sses.

It's effective on both parties. Any other way and you are either going down on price, or loosing the one customer because you won't, and his buddy up the street.
  5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him that you were wrong. You SHOULD be charging him $30.00 and charging his neighbor $60.00. I am sure he'll get a kick outta that.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i hung up on him
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, why not just have the phone disconnected?
    That wouldn't be as much fun I guess.
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My answer: Yessir your right, his lawn is $40 and yours is $30. And a 2-litre of soday costs $.88 and a 3-litre costs $1.09.
  9. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Good Point.

I think some people just want to cry about something and there is no way to communicate the obvious to them. Sometimes an open handed slap in the mouth is the best tool for dealing with that kind of person.

10. topsites

No doubt and a stupid 20-ounce at the gas station is a buck-fifty lol!

Here again thou... Assume I get a 1/4 acre and a 1/2 acre lot like that: The 1/4 acre is 35 and the 1/2 acre is 45... Well gee that's not fair but then it's really not fair when an acre lot is 60 dollars but 10 acres is only around 300 !!!!

And yes, I agree with the other fellow who said the truth works best.

So I would just tell him the price / square footage goes down as the lot size increases, the total is still more but the larger the lot, the less dollars / area.