hispanic workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beasleyslawn, Jan 13, 2003.

1. beasleyslawn

beasleyslawn LawnSite Member

having problems with american workers, so maybe one of you could tell me how to legally get mexican workers.
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Through a program called H2b where you pay a fee and have foreign workers here for 9 months a year on a work visa. I looked into it but before it was all said and done it was going to wind of costing me 5,000 dollars just for the visas this year....and then $2,000 a year every year after. $5,000 is a little to steep for me right now but for a big company it would be worth it.
  3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Run a help wanted ad in the local paper in Spanish. Ask for a social security card just like you do with any employee. Don't just assume that because they are Mexican that they are illegal.
    If the social security card looks real then hire them. If it looks fake then you may want to pass.

File your taxes on this number and if it's no good the IRS will let you know. I don't ask all employees to prove that they are here legally and I don't ask hispanic either. They either have a SS card or I don't hire them. They also must show it to me and I make a copy. I've only had a problem with one worker. I had to let him go after I found out that the SS # didn't match.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You might try sending a pm to LawnGodFather. He has a couple of hispanics full time.
  5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked with Mexicans before and whats the big deal? All of the Americans I've worked with have been just as good or better. So basically if there is a brown guy with a social # he is a good worker? Mexico has never had lazy prople?
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the above statements are true. If they have a valid drivers license and a valid Social Security card and they interview well then hire them.