Hit a car with rocks today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willider, Apr 12, 2008.

1. willider

willider LawnSite Member

I was mowing along the highway in some wet grass and hit some gravel. It was one of those scary moments when you know what is happening but it is too late to stop it! A Chevy S-10 was passing by just at the wrong time and my Deere peppered the side of his truck!! I just stopped and waited to see what he would do...he just flipped me the bird and kept going!! I am happy he didn't stop and I hate it happened... I had all guards in place... has this ever happened to you???

:hammerhead::confused::hammerhead:

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Happened to one of my guys once---due to his own stupidity (and mine for not drilling it into him never to discharge toward traffic). Put a couple chips and a legitimate dingmark in the front fender of a contractors truck. We didn't report it---just paid for the repairs. I never want that to happen again---the cost is not a problem but you can potentially put someone's life in danger.

Glad it worked out ok for you.

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

What ? Who me ? No can't say I've ever done anything, even remotely like that .......Right.. Join the club, the more hours you have in this biz the greater the odds are that one day you will have an ......incident.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The only bad thing ive done is covered someone with grass clippings when they had their window down or were getting out of the car. All I did was say that I dont speak english lol

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

I have had that happen twice. one time i broke out the passenger side window and another time i put a ding in the door. both times same truck, my own...........

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

this is why I do not like side discharging. To many flying objects. A mulch kit of chute blocker helps keep this from happening as often. Don't get to upset most of us who have been cutting awhile have done atleast that if not worse

7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I filled a brand new Buick Lucerne with grass once. The idiot saw me mowing, it was very windy, he saw how much the grass was blowing around, and he still left his windows down when he parked.

8. BonesMalone

BonesMalone LawnSite Member

Worst thing I did once was mowing next to a 4 lane busy road and I always mow 4 passes around this field with the discharge chute facing into the uncut areas to mimimize any chance of discharging something towards the road. On my next pass I was turning around and saw a smashed pop can in the corner of my eye and faster than I could stop the decked sucked it in and out the discharge towards the traffic. In the lane closest to me some farmer and his wife were driving by with their windows down and that can went flying like a 200 MPH frisbee about 2 feet in front of their windshield. I never seen an object get thown that fast. That was even with the chute down.

9. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

You should see what a NERF ball does or GOLF BALL, POPCAN, REBAR, ROCKS, SMALL FUZZY BUNNIES, NEWSPAPERS, seen it all. The golf ball had wicked slice.

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

you also must be careful of folks looking to cash in on a insurance claim for rock damage. It's been a season, but I posted an event where a crazy guy with a beat up F-150 accused one of my guys of "throwing rocks on this truck, upon closer inspection of the truck, it already had damage from something other than rock damage from a mower. The police came out agreed with me, and told the guy his complaint was invaild. He waited for the police to leave, and came back over to the apartment complex where the crew was at. I was on the trailer he got out of his truck untucked his shirt and showed me his little .380 walther or bersa pistol. I have my concealed carry permit, and always carry at least 1 piston, I had my .40 S&W Kahr PM-40, in my pocket, and said "wait a minute fella" you might not want to go this route? I just might has a bigger pistol; at which time he backed down cussed us out & drove off. My point be careful with gaurds off; because thier are some real mental cases out thier looking to snap, or attempt to take you to the cleaners for "that" insurance money. If your doing commercial work you need gaurds, and no matter how much you drill or explain it to you crew it's your buisness that will suffer. Take responsibility, and assume you and your crew will not do the right thing, and put some type of guard on the deck.