Hit a water service shut off valve in blvd.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alwaysgreenirrigation, Oct 27, 2007.

1. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

I was doing some final mowings and hit a cast iron water service shut off valve in the blvd. It must have worked its way up during the summer as I have mowed over this area many times. Didnt even know it was there~!!! Anyways thank goodness there appears to be no damage to my mower. I did however brake the valve. I let the owner know about it, and also gave my insurance co. the heads up. Has anyone ever had to pay to replace one of these. I am thinking this could add up!! especially if they have to get a backhoe in and dig it up.....anyways just curious , figured it must have happened to someone in here. --Greg

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

If I understand you, what you hit was the cast iron valve box that covers the valve on the waterline. If that is the case then it is not a big deal. Those are in the right of way and are maintained by the city or county.

The tops of those twist up or down the top of the valve box and the bottom of the valve box are in a screw type configuration. If the top is just chipped but mostly still in tact and there's no dirt or debris able to get down inside the box, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the top is completely missing then you might have the home owner call the water co. and just tell them that he noticed that it had been damaged and let them fix it.

The box itself is around $60 or $70 and it just sits on top of the shut off valve, It may be 3 or 4 ft down to the main. You could take a flashlight and look down inside and see the water main. Its not a big deal.

Dave...

3. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Ya I hit one with my push mower and bent the crankshaft, now they get weed wacked around. there's 5 of them at this one complex I do. I cracked the covers on two of them. there city maintained and not even worth mentioning. like the other guy said the actual valve is way down that pipe, they use this long rod with a t-handle on top to open/close valve.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt you will ever be charged with it........

5. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

You might of hit the above ground marker. In you area the valve should be below the frost line.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Was is a round piece of metal, about the diameter of a coffee can??

7. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

yes this was the round cast cap that I hit, about 5 inches or so across. Thanks it sounds like I most likely wont have to pay for it.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Sweet, Im not the only one that has ruined a push mower by hitting these things and bending the crankshaft. I took the mower home to dad, said" I have no idea why this thing is shaking so bad..." The hit broke the motor mounts loose causing the shake and the crankshaft was bent. Good dealer around here and they replaced it under warranty no problem.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea on letting the owner know about it.

Very bad idea giving the insurance company a "heads up". Whenever you contact them they make a file on it, regardless of them paying a dime. You just showed them that you broke something. You unknowingly became a greater exposure to the insurance company. They will not tell you this. Depending on your company you may have used your chance or they may at sometime raise your rates. NEVER call them until there is absolutely a need. I am not trying to be a gloom and doomer but these leeches use any reason to jack rates and make a small business pay. It is absolutely the right thing to have insurance but do all your homework very quickly to determine if you are going to have to pay. Keep your money in your pocket, you are an honest guy who seems to work hard for it.

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

That kind of happened to me this summer when I demoed a Everride Scorpion, the blades are right at the bottom of the deck unlike my Dixon, and I sliced a corner off of one of those things that I always drove over, didn't do anything to the mower.