1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hit in the head with a head

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I was adjusting the I-25 20gpm heads at that sports field we did. While adjusting the right stop I was wondering what would happen if for whatever reason the shaft or head let go while I was moving it with the channel locks. The heads are operating at about 70 psi, I know it wouldn't feel to good getting hit with it. Has this ever happened to anyone with this much water flowing?
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had one come apart while adjusting but I've had rotors explode when unscrewing the cap for replacing. DO NOT keep your head over the sprinkler!
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

And watch out for piss ants too!
  4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

had a job w/some toro 2001's and blasted the hard hat off of the const. super, it was funny.
  5. PurpHaze

Aint stainless steel hardened springs fun? :laugh:
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Yesterday on a new install, furthest zone was 200 feet of 1" poly. Water pressure ~~ 100 psi. One PGP rotary was spinning by just the air pressure. I never had the pleasure of seeing THAT before. Water hits and one PGP shot the nozzle out like a cork out of a champagne bottle. I wouldn't want to get hit in the head (or eye) by that. Even without a nozzle, the other 5 PGP's were blasting full bore.
  7. PurpHaze

Speaking of Toro 2001s we were installing some adjustable Toro 640s (back in the days when they were our primary large rotor) along a sidewalk strip where a chain link fence had just been put up about 6' in from them to block off that part of a field. We'd lobbied to move the 640s just inside the fence and install a separate zone along this strip but were told there was no extra money for this. One of the district plumbers stopped by and started "nagging" at us that the chain link would block the sprinkler throw. We told him that these were new high tech Toro 2001s (no such thing back then) and that they had lasers in them to cut the streams off as they reached each metal link and would only shoot through the openings. He was quite impressed and actually bought it until we further explained that the laser components were serviced by inserting a little robotic submarine into the valve which would travel up and down the zone lines to the sprinklers checking on the laser adjustments. Gullible! :laugh:
  8. Are biggest problems are over zealous remote users that don't wait for everybody to be ready for a flush and rubber tie down straps that snap and come back into either your face or your jewels.
  9. PurpHaze

We refer to them as "blow jobs"... but hey, nothing worse than a "flush" before toilet paper has been used properly. :nono: :laugh:
  10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a pair of Hunter G70 VIH on a tee addition that do not work from the controller and fixing the wiring is WAY down on the list. I didn't even know the second one existed until I found it after running the other one manually for over a month. When I found it, I was looking forward to the additional coverage on the tee box and surround. When I manually opened the VIH, the turret blew past, skimmed my hard head and sent my hat about 25' in the air into about a 25mph wind. I retrieved my hat about 150 yards away and was REAL glad I wasn't bleeding or anything.