Hit in the wallet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & S, Sep 16, 2003.

1. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I am in my first year of being full time and BARELY making ends meet. I got to my biggest customer today to find that he had "barderd" with a mower manufacturer to get a new ZTR. He is now going to cut his own property. I guess our service agreement doesn't mean much to him.
    He will be getting a sertified letter in the next few days letting him know how much it will cost him to back out early.
    Sorry, just had to vent.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure he didn't figure THAT into the "bartering" equation... Keep us posted, and good luck with it.

3. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

At least he waited until Sept. to drop you, so you got most of the summer out of him. Hope you get 2 better customers to replace the lost one.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

If the ends are meeting, you're doing good, esp. for being really full time for only a month or so now. I know your full/part time situation isn't 'normal' for comparison, just be happy that you already had this biz going. What are you planning for winter entertainment, er, I mean work?

Ask the guy if he got the mower for you, tell him the price won't be any less. :)

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

He might now have his own mower. Does that mean he will do his own fall cleanup? His own shrub trimming?

6. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

Just an update.

The gentleman that I signed the agreement with still does not think he is responsible for lost earnings, even though he signed an agreement. I asked him, "what about the signed agreement?" His responds was, "ya, so". Court date is Dec. 15!

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Good luck in court. Hope you win!

:blob1: :blob4: :)

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sue for his your lost wages, sue for breach of contract, have a friend sign a contract for twice the $$$ that you turned down becoase you were to busy doing this jerks yard. sue for mental anguish. The more things you force him into defending himself for the more chance you have to win. And since you have not been to court amend your complaint to the maximum amount allowable in your state. If nothing else he will spend a couple hundred going over everything with an attorney and miss a day of work. and if you really want to stick it to him the day before your court date call the court and have it postponed becouse your so sick.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would consider postponing it till after christmas. judjes don't like taking money from people to give to a business right before the big day. learned that the hard way.