hit it lucky with some advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thepondman2, May 27, 2005.

1. thepondman2

thepondman2 LawnSite Member

hey guys , just got a call from a local radio station to tell me my company was selected to be put on my town map but not only that i get my name announced over the radio several times through out the year and i'm listed with the local realtors in the towns welcome package and what is really great is i'm the only one from the landscaping community. they do one co. a year from the classifieds in the paper. isn't that kool for 200 bucks. that to me is a lot of advertising for little money just for the radio time

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually it's not luck at all. I've receive that same call and turned it down year after year. The company that called was really a telemarketer "salesman" selling ad's for that map and the radio station is probably the sponsor is all. They just call every type of business in town until they get a taker in that catagory is all. I also doubt you ever hear your name mentioned on the radio.

3. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

The cold, stern face of reality rears its ugly head again! :cool:

4. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

I got the exact same call from the same people just a month ago, and it sounded to good to be true. Of course they told me the same things, and I got a little excited until I heard this, "Just have the check ready and we'll come by and pick it up from you". That sent an immediate red flag up for me. No legit company or marketers would come by and pick up a check. Only frauds do that, to attempt to shield themselves from leaving a trail.
    Do what you feel is right, but I sure would avoid that situation. If you have made payment and wanna back out of it, just stop payment on the check, if that's how you paid. :dizzy:

5. thepondman2

appreciate the comments guys they did actually try to get me to pay over the phone but i never do that on anything. no lost funds just some dissappointment in myself as i should have known better think i will stick with my flyers and newspaper ad for my advertising

6. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

How is that going for you? I'm getting about 0.5% call return on my flyers, and only one call each from both the Knoxville news sentinel, and the Bargain Mart Classifieds. Not to good of results or return on the money. ;) How are yours doing? Is this your first year too?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in my 4th year but I remember my first year well.
    For every 1,000 flyers, I'd get 3-4 calls, so 0.5% is about right and actually sounds like you're doing good. The secret with flyers is you got to keep passing them out, which is why I eventually got tired of that but if you can pass out 3 or 4 thousand, then that will help a LOT!

Here is a tip:
    I always did mine late at night to minimize BS, then:
    I bought a roll of 1/2" masking tape (they're cheap, so buy 2-3 rolls).
    Bring this tape with you and:
    - Drive slowly alongside the wrong side of the road, put your flyers on your passenger seat and:
    - Between mailboxes, rip off a small strip of tape and attach a piece of tape to a flyer, then:
    - When you get to a mailbox, stick the flyer to the mailbox POST with the tape. Make sure you stick it on the pole or post so you can not get in trouble with the US postal service. Keep doing that and if you get a good rhythm going, you can put out 180 flyers/hour no baloney.
    So what I used to do is go out every evening for an hour (or three) and put out flyers. Just keep doing it over and over and over, then do it some more.

As for me, I like the small newspapers and publications, it costs a bit more in cash but it relieves a lot of the bs - just pay and be done is what i like the most.
    Good luck!

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You might want to read the US Postal Regs then because NOTHING without postage cna even touch any part of the mailbox OR the Mailbox POST.

9. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

I'm like that too, I don't like the hassle of putting in that much effort for little to no response. Then again, how else will I get my name out there. People love my work so far, and the word of mouth is already spreading. Thanks for the advise. Any advise always welcome. :)

10. thepondman2

yes this is my first year and i'm getting about the same returns on my flyers but they seem to come in cycles like i'll get 3-4 calls every other week or maybe in two week intervals and i often get 50% of the jobs that i bid on but i only do landscaping and no lawn maintnance