Hitch ball cover?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 17, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Tis is a silly post but hey, here it is: I am having trouble finding a simple $3.00 hitch ball cover for a 2 5/16th ball. Everything seems to be for a 2 inch ball. Do you guys have any sites for me to order one of off? I know I am crazy but the rust on the hitch ball drives me crazy and it seems the grease stays on the ball longer with the cover, since the inside of it becomes greasy.........Thanks!
  2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

not sure about the ball cover but you can always cut out the bottom of a tennis ball and use that till' you find one or just use that
    AK Lawn
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Did you check with your trailer dealer? They should sell them too. If not, they should be able to order it for you.
  4. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

just take your insert our and put in your tool box until youfind a cover. that should keep you from seeing it. You probably like to keep it on just in case someone rearends you, i know i do. Someone wants to hit my truck they will have a big hole in a radiator or a light or at the least have to get a new grill, i guess that sounds mean.

if you dont like that idea just buy a black condom and put that on their. It should stretch out big enough then just trim the excess. Problem solved and i only cost 50 cents.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer dealers usually have them , But I kept loosing mine cause it was always black.. I came across a trailer accessoriy place on line, I will look and see if I can find it again for you , And they had nice red ones, so I orederd a bunch and and have not lost one yet, On the first one and I got it like 3 or 4 years ago... Now watch I'll loose it tomorrow.......

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info! It seems funny I have had so many problems finding such a simple iteim!
  8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I just remove the drop when it's not in use. This way, not only the ball stays non-rusty, but also the drop itself.

Also, some of them stick out past the bumper kind of far, and when big trucks park in small parking lots, it can be difficult to maneuver.