Hitch price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Jan 4, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I have a '93 toyota pick-up with a ball hitch on the bumper. I haven't used it yet because I still need to buy a trailer. The guy I bought the truck from said he towed a sailboat, but wasn't comfortable doing it and recomended I get a real hitch.

I looked around and found a place that will hook me up for $217.00 installed. I was an idiot and didn't do my research before talking to the guy about specs of the hitch.

Does that sound like a good price, or should I shop around more? I did see in the manual that he got the price from that the hitch is specific for my truck.

thanks for the input
  2. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

trailer hitch on ebay to fit your vehicle is 100 bucks plus 30 bucks shipping...It takes about 40 minutes to install... I think I would save the 80 bucks and do it myself... but that's just me... I'm cheap..
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I am assuming that the wiring for a trailer is all set since it has towed before, and all it needs is the actual hitch, which in that case 217 is way high. You can get a hitch for around 100 bucks and then your looking at another 20 for a tongue and ball. Like Gary said, installation is very simple even if your not a mechanically inclined person and you can save about 100 bucks doing it yourself. Just get someone to give you a hand to help hold the hitch up while you bolt it on.
  4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I am just the opposite, i would gladly pay the 80 bucks to have it installed. you will most likely need a 2nd pair of hands to hold it up and if you do not have everything you need, you may have to make a couple trips to the parts store.
  5. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

If you're not in a rush you could get a used hitch on ebay for much cheaper... probably around 30-50 bucks plus 20 for shipping...Just have to keep checking until one becomes listed...
  6. Rax

Rax LawnSite Member

I got a class III hitch installed at Uhaul a week ago for $179.
  7. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

thanks for the response fellas. The price does seem high, but I've been calling around and its the best deal I've found. I would wait and go the ebay route but I need it for a big job this weekend -- knew I should've gotten this taken care of earlier.
  8. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

wow. I got quoted 375 for a hitch and wiring installed. Good thing i didn't take it. the labor alone was 100,50 for each. I said no way il do it myself for around 175.
  9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

installed by pro...hitch, ball, brakes gauge in cab, weedeater and blower rack, and a wire spring assist gate thing, and including 16' trailor...$2800
    i did manage to put siding on the trailor....so yah pay someone in my book
  10. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I didn't want to start another thread, but now I'm looking to get a trailer. I've figured out that used is the way to go if I can find something. Any advice on what to get? This will be my second year, 1st full-time. I've got 15 customers all small-medium sized lawns, but I'm going to advertise this year so expect to pick up more customers.

I don't want to spend much more than $500 if I can help it. I found this on craigslist in my area. I'm going to call on it, but on first impression does this look like a good buy: