Hitch Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turfrific, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

Just got a 2004 sliverado V6 4.3 i think not sure have to look again. i see it used to be a Terminex truck 160k miles on it, when i learn how to work this camera i got about the same time ill post a picture of the back to see what i mean. Should i buy a hitch or just put a ball in the frame hole thats already there. I'm thinking i might dent my plate all up taking the trailer on and off.*trucewhiteflag*:dizzy::hammerhead:
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I do bend my tag alot and here in Florida I have a specialty plate for the air force. I use the ball with zero issues and it gives me less of a angle on the trailer ramp but the trailer will drag on some hills. You can always get the hitch that goes under the ball mount that bolt to the bumper for like 30 bucks and then you can run a drop hit or whatever you need for alot cheaper then a frame mount.
  3. Turfrific

ok sounds good thanks alot man.
  4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I would always suggest a decent brand name frame hitch if you tow anything. Just look at the trucks and SUV's that have a bent down rear bumper from the panic stop while towing even a small trailer on the bumper ball.
  5. Nick's Neat Landscaping

Nick's Neat Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok Honestly i don't think GM put that hole in the bumper for towing Big Landscape Trailers (my own 2 cents) In my OPINION i think that is for like pulling a little boat trailer. But i do use the bumper hitch to pull my Billy Goat leaf loader behind my Dodge
    (which is no where near as much as a landscape trailer)
  6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2500lbs of equipment with it no problems at all on the bumper of my v6 97f-150

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i think it would be better to get a hitch. i have seem way to many dented up plates and messed up bumpers from towing with just the ball
  8. Turfrific

i swear the back on this frame looks like iron, would that be right? i know it used to be a terminex truck and inside says it's been modified. it's got this box on the front dash that beeps whenever i get to close to something while backing up.
  9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

If it is modified and has a KNAPHEID bed then it is more than likely iron, but I would still invest in the ball and save yourself the headaches.
  10. Turfrific

oh wow never heard of that thanks.