Hitch Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PTSolutions, Jan 20, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

just checked out a deckover pintle trailer today that i will probably purchase.

the trailer is a 19K gvwr with 16K capacity. the hitch on my F350 diesel is limited to 12,500lbs gross trailer. I have found a Reese Titan Class V hitch that is rated to 18K gross trailer with 2K tongue weight.

are there any other options you guys recommend? i know i should go GN but i need this trailer to be pulled behind other trucks as well as dumps so the pintle is the most efficient setup.

the part number for the hitch is: PN 45297 if you guys wanna look it up.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How much do you plan on towing with your 350?

And how can you have a 19K GVWR with a 16K capacity? It's either 19K or 16K, not both.

AFAIK, you won't find a receiver insert that is good for anything over 10K. You will need to bolt a pintle hook to a bumper\frame extension to be legal. Could be wrong on this part, though.

3. PTSolutions

from OH

the machine ill be towing is an asv rc100 that weighs about 10,150 with bucket.

the gvwr is 19K and the capacity of the trailer is 16K if you have the adequate 3K worth of hitchload.

the weight of the load+trailer cant exceed 19K, so when it states the capacity is 16K that means the max load is 16K, at least from my understanding.

im not talking about an insert. Im talking about an entirely new frame mounted hitch. The new receiver is rated to 18K weight carrying, ill be using an 8 ton pintle hitch into that new receiver.

the 350 will be doing the towing until we purchase a new med. duty dump truck.

4. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

I have givein up on making thoes hitch number all work out. They come form the manfg and dont make any sense. I pull a 14k deckover with my f-550. The hitch I use for it is the same thing you are talking about a 8 ton pintle claw. I bought an 8 ton pintle / 2 5/16 ball combo but clearly stamped into the top of the ball is 10,000lbs?????? If you use the class v hitch and the 8 ton pintle hitch you will be more then fine to pull that trailer.

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

The class V should have 2.5" receiver tube. There are 2.5" receiver inserts rated to 17k (weight distributing) but I have never seen any rated above that. A combo pintle is generally rated to 16k-20k but the weak link will be the adapter that fits into the Class V tube.

6. PTSolutions

from OH

i have to double check what the stock receiver on the truck is, class V or not. the tube is a standard 2" though.

i currently have my 8 ton combo pintle on an adjustable flat plate that is only rated to 12K when i get a new pintle it will be a single piece so its rated properly.

I can also upgrade the 2" ball thats currently in the pintle to a 2 5/16 30K ball as well but then i have to find a plate thats rated higher.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

8. PTSolutions

from OH

thanks GR for the link for the plate, the 20K gtw is what i need compared to my current 12K plate.

I have a strong enough combo pintle that i can mount to that plate now. I just gotta find a REESE dealer to install the heavier receiver mount on my truck now.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wish Buyers Products carried reciever hitches but they don't all the rest of their products are good.

Myself I would have a custom made rear bumper that you could make the pintle hitch bolt right to it. Then to mount the bumper you can use plates along the cheeks of the frame and wrap under the frame so you can use all the holes possible and maximum strength.

So a good chunk of the rear frame is being used for pulling. To rip the bumper of it would have to rip the frame tail apart.

The loggers build rear bumpers out of box tubing it doesn't bend the frame does. The reason why they have a bumper like that is for pulling the fuel trailer or fire trailer in the bush. Fire trailer probably weighs 10-15 ton.

10. Yotedinger

Yotedinger LawnSite Member

Protouch,

Also take a look at Curt industries class 5 offerings and reciever inserts.
    For the Hook, take a look at Mil-surp hooks welded to the insert plate.

I run one on the 2500HD pulling a deckover similar to your set up, and chose the Curt over the Reese because of the better frame support on the Curt.
    It's one thing to reinforce for pulling in a straight line, but I'm often in loose sand,snow and Ice with a 6 ton tractor on the trailer and turning, and don't much like bent frames.

I forget what the total rating is, but it exceeds the trailer with a 11,000lb Harvester on it by a bit, though I guess the DOT would poop Kittens over the dimensions of that thing.:D