hitch receiver??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zurfsturfcare, Jun 21, 2008.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 2007 chevy 3500 and the hitch receiver is bigger than the standard
    2". So i went to tsc, they dont have any hitches that fit that size but they have inserts that make the receiver 2". But they didnt have the right length of insert i needed. Why is the receiver this big?? I have a 10k pound rated pintle hitch that wont even fit! and tsc doesnt even have a hitch that'll fit

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Its one of GM's brain farts. Yes there is supposed to be a sleeve there. I took my hitch off one day when I went shopping at a mall. Didnt realize the sleeve came out also, and didnt put the hitch pin back in. Next day went to hook up trailer, and no sleeve. Probally in someones grill:cry:....Got my replacement at the stealership for around 25 bucks...
    Looked at my 2001 f250, and that has a sleeve also, but its welded in.:usflag:

3. zurfsturfcare

thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard of, mine must have came out before i ever got to use it, or it never came with one. What a pain, i guess it would make too much sense to manufacture them the size of a hitch:hammerhead:

4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I belive its removable because u can get a larger hitch. Not 100% on this, but I remember reading something about it on dieselplace...........:usflag:

5. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

You can get a larger insert. They do this because so many people are over loading the hitch. The new oversized one is rated more.

How many of you guys have put over 5K / 500lbs tongue weight on the hitch without a Weight Distributing Hitch? They look like this.
    [​IMG]

6. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

I have never ever seen a landscaper or contractor with a weight distributing hitch like that, no matter how much weight they are pulling.

7. zurfsturfcare

but where can u get the larger hitches??

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Ford has 2.5" receivers.....Reese make a sleeve that adapts it down to 2"...

9. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

IF you live in the midwest Farm and Fleet stores carry the 2.5 hitches, I like the idea of bigger hitches, our Ford utility van is A 03 and came with A 2.5 hitch.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

600/5000 is what mine is rated without an equalizing hitch. 12000 with the right distributing hitch. Mine is a 2" Reese. And you could never use that one setup like that in my truck. The hitch is upside down at the part that goes into the receiver. Tail of the trailer would be dragging the ground. :D