Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLARKE, May 4, 2001.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

For years now i have a rule i go by 1st time i'll move it
    2nd time at the yard i'll pick it or move it butt the 3rd
    time if the same small foot ball or kids toy or something
    that i get tired of stoping and moveing it, IT GETS THE CHOPP. Maybe i"m a sicko but i show up to mow the lawn about
    the same time every week they know i"m coming but they some
    times leave the same things on the lawn, I'"M there to mow
    the lawn not clean/pick it up.1/2/3 chop-chop. tennis balls
    shot out real good, sometimes about 40 to 50 feet. am i the
    only one or are there more that feel the same way i do..
  2. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

not me.....
  3. I suppose if the customer knows when your schedule is for mowing they have no excuse!
    I hate it when you bid a job and THEN they start buying lawn furniture/make babies that have to have all those big Tyco/Tonkas, toy soldiers balloon fights,packing peanuts all over,and we get stuck with moving/cleaning. Charging extra after the bid has raised eyebrows, but I kindly explain that moving furiniture/Tonkas is an additional charge(no small feet for some of those tables with umbrellas).
    Hope this helps.
  4. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I have some customers that are as good as gold when cleaning their lawn. Picks up all feces, even if it wasn't their dog. And cleans every little piece of trash up. they even walk through their lawn and check all of their pop-up heads to make sure a straggler didn't stay up. Nice to work for!
    Then, I have the awful ones too. Toys on the ground, fruit, and dog feces. I do my aunt's lawn and she has two cocker spaniels. I will pick the dog toys up as I am mowing and toss them out of my way. Those dang dogs just sit and wait till I toss it, then they go pick it up and carry right back where I am going to mow. I have got rid of some of the toys.
  5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Running over objects in the lawn with your mower is irresponsible and bad business. It shows a lack of professionalism and a lack of regard for your clients property and safety from projectiles (tennis balls) or other debris coming from under your deck. If it bothers you that bad, speak with your client about your concerns. If that gets you nowhere, move on to greener and less cluttered pastures. You know I'm right, don't let your temper get the better of you. Remember, you're a professional.
    Bill Craig
  6. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

If you always have to spend 10 minutes picking things up around the yard, just include this in your price. I have several accounts that have these extra charges included in the price. Now, I'm not saying to itemize this on the invoice, but you are getting paid for your time. You can usually tell what type of people they are the first time out. I also have one guy who likes to talk for a good 15-20 minutes after I get through with his yard, he may not realize it, but he is paying a 'consulting' fee with every check he sends me. :)
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

we used to mow a community college and there was always tons of tennis balls in the field next to the courts. We would pass them back and forth between mowers all day. It keept things interesting for the 8 hours it took the 4 of us to mow that place.

As far as residential stuff. I usually pick the stuff up and put it in the middle of the driveway or on the walk way. Most times when you do that it gets put away. If you just toss it over onto the grass you've already cut it will sit there until the next week and you have to move it again.
  8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I notified my customers in a letter this year that I spend about 40 hours a year moving things. I told them that the lawns are bid "mow ready" and that next year prices would be adjusted accordingly. Low lifes in apts. are the worst affenders and I will raise the management companies price which they can pass on. I have reached the year of ZERO tolerance. No turning back now. An apt dweller came out and tried to scold me for dragging her hose (always in my way)into the lot. I ran to her and proceded to tell her the score."hose out of my way,toys too! and who said you can have a dog" She shut up mighty quick. Which reminds me I must call the management and turn her in for the dog.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one thing that works is to raise the deck or mow around object, if it becomes obvious that customer is just letting you do it.a couple of wks of high places or whatever and the customer will get the idea.then if they ask you to doit
    time to talk money.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Nah, I don't think it is right to just run over the stuff.
    We have one customer where I have to move her hamonic, glider, dog chain, dog toys, and who knows what else.
    I just move the stuff and deal with it. The bad part is, all of that crap is on my side that I have to mow.

Grrr, that yard irritates me, but I just move the stuff and move on.

TwoToros: Awwww, have a heart. Don't turn that lady in. The poor dog might end up on the street if she has to get rid of him.
    If you want to get her back, just discreetly slice up her hose so the next time she turns it on, she gets wet ;) Just kidding there, don't take me up on that idea.