hmmm... to spend or not to spend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a John Deere HD45 walkbehind and a Walker MTGHS with a 26hp EFI motor. I have a 48" Ghs deck that I use on it. The Deere is a 14 hp hydro with a 48" deck. I am pretty positive the right hydro pump is going on the unit along with broken spindle housing. Other than that the walk behind cuts amazing and the motor runs strong. I demoed a 52" mulch deck for the Walker this weekend. I hated the mulch kit and took it off. I am very pleased with the side discharge. I would like to add the the deck in place of the walk behind. Would you recommend this? I do plan on growing next year and maybe adding a Stander. Also, as a small business, I really shouldn't spend $2300 on this deck but it would improve my productivity. Should I spend $1000 or more fixing the Deere or buy the deck for $2300? Please give comments on the 52" mulch deck to. -Will

2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

you should price out the parts for the deer and then deside i find it hard to believe a hydro pump would be more than 5-600 and a spindle housing more than 100 and i dont see how getting a deck 4in wider than your current would ever increase productivitly enought to justify 2300 dollars but do whatever makes sence to you

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would fix the JD then you would have a backup for the WAlker. You would be getting a lot money tied up in the Walker by adding another deck. I would move towards the Stander. I have a Walker and we use it mainly to bag in fall.

4. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I know from experience about the hydro pumps on the HD45. You have to buy the whole unit from deere and its gonna cost you $930. I have the same exact problem on mine.

5. Willofalltrades

:cry: sob sob :cry: sob

6. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

WOW remind me never to buy a JD

depending on year and hours the mower in good running condition may only worth about a grand so it would proboly better to sell it now with the week pump and get somthing else, i couldnt justify spending that much with little chance of return on the investment maybe watch ebay for a used one

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I am going through somewhat the same problem. My pump is $550 and I suspect the wheel motor is around the same. I have a Hustler shortcut and the system that they use is called a closed-loop hydrolics. So if I replace the pump and trash from the motor gets in that pump it will be a matter of time before it would eat the new pump up. In my case I have found that it would be better to find a unit used with or without a running motor just for the hydrolics. You may want to hunt for a used unit possibly one with a blown engine, you may come out better on the investment. You at least would have spare parts.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well that changes everythng, maybe they can be rebuilt?

9. Willofalltrades

The pump mates right to the motor. I know I could look for a junked unit but I would hate to do the same thing 200 hours later. If I choose to fix the unit I will get a new assembly so that It is relaible and under warranty. John Deere doesn't even want the dealer to mess with the hydro fluid so I doubt they can be rebuilt. So now should I spend $1500 to fix the Deere or get a new 52" for the Walker? I think I'm just going to fix the Deere. My father likes using it and next year when I get a Stander he will buy it off of me. Not to mention in two months I will be using the GHS for leaves. Any body have anymore info on the HD45 hydros for me?

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If you buy the 52" you productivty will increase with that one peice of equipment. However if you are running both machines at the same time and your take the JD out of service in favor of the 52" deck you productivity will decrease. Also rememebr that when you run the 52 deck to remove the belts that runn the GHS blower...

You say that you are planing on growing, does this mean adding an employee or two? if thats they case I'd fix the JD such that you can have two people mowing on your larger sites.... Keep your eyes open for a used 52" deck...you might get lucky....

http://cgi.ebay.com/walker-mower-de...ryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WALKER-LAWN-MOW...ryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem