Hmmmmm????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gatewayuser, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok what do all of you do with your ruined bags of fertilizer??? Oh and Lime?? hmmmmmmm:confused:

2. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Take them to local co-op and have them put the fert through their mixer to break up the bricks.

3. Gatewayuser

hmmm good idea, thanks, but what about the excess dust/powder build up?

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I try to limit my waste. My spyker spreader can take some lumps plus I run it through a screen. Fertilizer I can not use I dump on a farmers manure pile.

5. Gatewayuser

Yeah me too but over the last 3 years its building up. What happens is sometimes the bags get very wet which ruins the fertilizer making it useless. Right now I am storing it in a seperate building keeping it away from the good stock. I don't know if its illegal to have bad fert but I don't know why it would be because I am not contaminating anything. another hmmmm, and thanks for the reply!

6. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

It goes on the leaf compost pile. This is how we turn the pile. The pic shows about half of the approximate 2500 yard pile. The pile has grown about a hundred feet in length this week from doing fall cleanups. In a few years those leaves will be at the other end which just looks like a dirt pile.
    Now that all our fert comes in plastic bags we lose very little to moisture problems. Sticking a bag with the forklift is a bigger problem.

Scott

compost pile.jpg

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Use it. I remember in the late 70's when my ChemLawn branch in Dallas would spread out bags of wet/clumpy fert on the parking lot.......let it dry, then sweep it up and put it in bags. Used screens when needed. No prob, just a little time. :usflag:

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's what the Europeans invented the 'Vicon' spreaders for! They'll chew up any type of clumpy fert you'll put in them, and launch it a hearty distance!