1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Apr 14, 2006.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mowing for a family friend for the past few years. I was on my way to his office yesterday to cut it and he calls and says he has this customer who has been begging him to do the yard for awhile so he said he could go ahead and do it.

I have been doing it for a few years. I was going to use this guy for my insurance(but prolly not now) and the guy who took it from me bid it 15 bucks lower than me and its only a 50 dollar job. Oh yeah, the guy who bid lower is somehwat of a friend of mine.

Just kinda pisses me off. Seems like he could have atleast come to me and said i needed to lower the price or he was switching. O well, i guess he wont get my insurance money now. Cheap A$$

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The moral to the story do not bend on price to no one.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ins. agents get paid a commision when you pay your bill. Moral of the story is paybacks are a beatch

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

and i would let him know that he is not getting your business. that will give him something to think about.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

... as if the insurance agent has never encounted others who have taken their business elsewhere.

We all know that LCOs that frequent LS always choose their suppliers on a basis other than cost ... yea, sure!
  6. The landscaper

No kidding. He is probably losing out because he will not have me as a customer. lets up that 15 bucks helps him out.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Just goes to show where peoples' loyalty lies...$$$$$. Some people will drop you in a heartbeat over just a few bucks.
  8. The landscaper

Especially being a friend and giving no warning.
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Had a customer we did for almost 10 years. Raised the price 5 bucks after all that time. He dropped us. Said he found somebody to do it for the original price. You bet we were mad. He got a lot of "extras" from us over the years. We always brought the garbage cans up to the garage, bought cookies form his girl scout daughter, candy for his son's little league team. Changed his wife's tire once in the rain on the side of the road. And, his lawn ALWAYS looked good when we were done. But wait, it gets better. The guy he hired was a total hack. He ruined this lawn. Mowed it to short, blew grass everywhere. Fertilized it (no license) and burned some areas. Finally after a season and a half, he calls us back to fix it. We raised his mowing price another ten bucks, charged him a few grand for a renovation, and his lawn looks good again. I have said it beofre, and I'll say it 100 more times: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR