HO wants to furnish all materials???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Meezer, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any good luck with a HO furnishing all materials??? I have a potential client in an upscale subdivision that sprung that on me as my interview of them was ending. I told them that I'd get back them & went to my next appt. several houses down the street.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

god i hate people like that. what is their reason. oh wait i allready know.... because they think you buy it from the same place and mark it up to much they think they will save $. f them.

3. Meezer

What I was able to find out was that they did get several "outrageous" (their word, not mine) quotes from several landscaping companies recommended by the nursery supply place where they would be buying the wall units from.

They think they would be saving money by purchasing all the materials, yet they don't know what they all need. They want me to provide them with a materials list!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Elements of business, deal with it. I had that happen 2 monts ago h/o bought all of his block, and they was the same as i used. I loved it wall was 800 block, so i made him buy all of the stone and pay for the trucking of excavtion material away. I priced it $$ per block and $$ for excavation, i couldn't loose. I mean i didnt under bid block, under bid stone, i made out. Sometimes it works out but always be ready to make a dollar if situation looks tough.
    mike

5. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I’ll remember that the next time I go out for breakfast. I’ll take my own eggs and bacon and have the local pancake-house cook them up for me.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I usually get around that in two ways.

(1) I'm upfront with my customers and explain the cost of materials is 10% over MY cost...which is usually cheaper than they can get it anyway. Most see the light within seconds...those that don't:

(2) I explain if they get the materials it's up to them to calculate how much materials they need and its up to them to coordinate delivery times. I then explain that if me and my guys are sitting around waiting for materials that we go to an hourly rate. I then also explain that the same thing occurs if we run short on materials that we will be paid until the material gets there. I also explain that I can help them calculate materials needed and help coordinate delivery times, jopsite placement of the materials, etc. but I will charge an hourly consulting fee.

7. Meezer

I always go with my gut instinct & in this case it tells me to pass on this one. They're expecting a free design & materials list from me.:laugh::laugh: Nfw. :nono::nono:

8. Meezer

I like that. :clapping:

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i teach all clients of mine a good lesson if they pull this on me.

i tell them go buy a $100 palm from HD and i 'll get a $100 palm from my supplier.

i bring my palm over to there's and mines 10' there's is 5'. that solves the prob right then, and they let me handle all materials then.

10. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

As long as they buy the materials and have the correct amount of materials whats the difference. Just charge them more to install thats all, figure out what the job would cost you if you supplied the materials, minus YOUR cost of materials and then charge them that including the mark up on materials as well. this way they will end up paying more, if they ask why you tell them, that your mark up on materials is factored into the cost of building the wall or walkway, and to do the job you need that much.