1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HOA - holy freaking cow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPnTX, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

We're doing our first HOA this year. A 30 year old neighborhood full of old people, weirdos and back stabbing ********.

I have come to the conclusion that only disturbed people would even want to live in a zero lot community. Its like living in an ant hill.

I'm thick skinned and Im holding on to what I told myself in the beginning, "if you expect it, the only thing that counts is your reaction"

Well I'm venting here because this is the biggest pain in the butt you could EVER imagine. People actually wait for the sound of a mower to come out and point at something or tell you something or some just stare.

The the following day the emails...its really a no win situation.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, yeah HAHAhaha!!!

I also had to, 2-3 years ago, find out for myself if commercial contracts were for me.
    I was just GLAD I waited until my 5th year, just thinking about how much fun this would
    have been in a first year, the experience helped me along some.

Yup, yup, the good news is I eventually did see the light, and I can laugh about it now.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  3. FourTrees

FourTrees LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 6

Serious pain, I keep considering getting out of commercials.Major bad day here today dealing with them.
  4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

When I was still in high school and mowing lawns in the surrounding neighborhoods I mowed for this retired farmer. He mowed it when he had time or energy and then would call me when he wanted me to do it. He wanted me to come over and do it NOW, as in right this minute. Plus, he had to watch me. That did it,,,, annoyed me beyond belief and I only mowed his lawn 1 or 2 more times. In the 90s when I went full time I mowed for this older lady who was retired and also used to farm. She had to watch me from inside the house. She seemed to remember how I did everything including how I nicked the metal siding on the pole barn with the trimmer when it had a plastic cutter head on. ANNOYED WITH BEING WATCHED I started mowing in circles going around and around the house. The comments subsided. Over all the years there must be a bunch of other annoying customers I couldn't stand. I got quite creative at coming up with reasons to drop a customer after 1-2 cuts, or even mid season. Usually I gave them notice.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The majority of the people in a HOA are old ladies who are mad because their husband died and they had to sell the house they owned forever. So they take it out on anyone, and the mower is loud.
  6. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

haha. aww yes. HOA's.

When I first got out of highschool I worked for a lawncare company here in town. When I became crewleader I was given the title of "HOA Crewleader". You can imagine what the next two seasons of my life entailed.

Villas - 30 patios homes
    Peninsula - 35 Homes
    Coves - 40 Homes
    Cloisters - 85 Homes
    Thickets - 60 Homes

That is all I can remember now and that was about my weekly responsibility of mowing.
    The Thickets was worse. It was the oldest community (homes and residents) and man they were pretty rough lol. We mowed one community for about two months. It had just been built a few years back but we were the first lawn company to be used through the newly commissioned HOA board. Imagine having to deal with HOA members but without them knowing what to expect.

AHHHH... I don't mow HOAs anymore.
  7. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I do a 50 condo development with a board who votes on everything, etc. They hold random meetings about current issues. The board sends out emails and letters to notify the residents when we will be around and what we will be doing. The board also states that the homeowner is to leave us alone and to direct all questions to the board. However, we do get those random aholes who what something this way or that way and try to go against the mowing contract and policies. We do one of two things...1. We tell them to direct it to the board...or...2.We stop and tell them that what they want isn't part of the contract and if they want a certain thing done, we will charge them for it. Out of 50 condos, I'd say that 3 or 4 of them area a real PITA. The pay outweighs those who are a PITA!!!
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is where Lawnsite shines. I never bid on a high class trailer park just because of the experiences of people just like you. So as painful as your experience is, suffice it to say you have taught me to stay away.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ha! is that an oxymoron. I know there are some better quality trailer parks, but it's still a trailer park. The units are still worth nothing after you buy it.

I hate HOA's. I dealt with more than a few when working for an LCO 6 years ago.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what does HOA stand for? I thought it was Helping Out ********* after reading this thread. LOL :D