Hobart Handler 125 Amp Welder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shades of Green LService, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

It has a 20% duty cycle so you can't weld for extended periods with out letting the windings cool down some. I have used a unit like this for some small jobs and works well.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I mainly want this to do some repairs on my trailer. What do you think? Shouls i go w/ gas or will this suffice?

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Should work out for you if not burning a whole lot of wire at one time.

5. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

It also depends on how thick the steel is on you trailer. I have a unit similar to the one you are looking at, except mine is a Lincoln with the MiG set-up (gas manifold included). You can run flux core wire or not. If you are going to get into metal 1/4" and above, I think a stick welder would be a better choice, but a little more limited. However, if you get the hang of the flux core unit, you can make multiple passes for the thicker stuff. Also, like Budget wrote, duty cycle is important if you work with it often, and for long periods of time. Duty cycle is the rating, based on 10 minute intervals, of the capacity of your welder. For example, if your unit is rated at 30% than for every three minutes of welding continuously, you have to let it rest for 7.

6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

Thanks for the welding info as I was pondering the same machine for the same purpose!