hobby forum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 44toy, Dec 30, 2003.

1. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I own a scrub/hobby business, wonder if anyone knows of a nonprofessional forum for a guy who pays cash for used equipment,maintains it his self,is solo or two man,and makes the most of what he has?
    I know this is for "professionals" and do not intend to disrupt, but think a forum for small-time "small town guys" like me would better suit my questions.
  2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I don't think your going to get very good responses out of this... instead, why not use LawnSite.com as a business tool to improve your company?

Your post seems like it may be sarcastic... members, please don't flame this post or member... educate. :)
  3. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

There are plenty of "small town guys" on this forum. If you have questions, just ask, I'm sure someone out of the 12,000+ members can help.
  4. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Scrub, get out of here! No just playing. Im sure lots of people were scrubs, now evolved. This forum i believe is for all. I dont care if you are a scrub or not, you do what you like to do, mowing i presume. Good luck ask all the questions hang out with other scrubs on here, im here with everyone. Get informed on here, check my Honda Mini Tiller post, proof.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Chuck, you came in at the right time on this post. I can imagine some of the responses.
    Hey 44, there are lots of guys that started as a hobby or a part time job but it became more. There are also lots of lurkers out there who have the same type of interests that you do. There are over 12,000 members here and they all don't post.

I give you credit for asking the question. Remember that this is a livelihood for lots of guys and most will tell you that they dont care what equipment you use of what your trailer looks like but everyone will tell you to be ethical in your dealings (charge appropriately) and don't undercut others to support a hobby. I personally like competition in business, I don't like being underbid by a guy so he can buy beer money. I am not full time but I run my business like it is. So do lots of members here.

There is nothing worng with running your business as a hobby. You obviously have another job that is your main income source. Just imagine if a guy was to come to your business and say he would do your job for half of what you currently are being paid because he wants to do it as a hobby.

A forum like you propose may initially be a good idea but I think it would cause a large division and lead to bad things. I am sure there are guys like yourself out there who may even want to contact you in a personal message and discuss similar interests.
    Either way you have a lot of reading here should you want to . This site is the best in the business for anyone interested in the lawn care business at any level. Good Luck.
  6. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I an by no means trying to incite a problem, I intend to keep lurking here. I just have no interest in owning a ten man operation, every such venture has ended in enormous headaches.
    I like to work alone and live a simple life. I will hire one person again if the right person comes along.
    I feel this site is for people who want to buy a new truck every year and wonder if you know of a lighter forum. If you can only put this idea down then please just shout at the wall. this is a serious question.
    Also I try not to under-cut anyone, I try to stay around $60 an hour, that is good for my area and I work hard to get it sometimes. If I price a job for $60 and it takes me 4 hours I take it as a learning experience ( and I have done so.)
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

hey boy toy???

Welcome. There are alot of guys like you here. They pay cash work on everything themselves and enjoy each and every day. Does not mean that you or they are scrubs. It means that you are a small town operator that is all. Just remember one thing whether it is a hobby or not insurance is very important. Cause if you don't have it then God forbid that someday, somewhere, somone will have you if you have an accident. So Happy New Year.:waving:
  8. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

Just to tell the story, My on Major accident was when I was in middle school when I had just bought my first rider (very used murray 8hp 36" cut." Customer was setting on porch watching me when I hit a rock and the massive 8hp threw it about 60 feet hitting him in the arm! I ran over to help blood flew and it turned several colors, and he laffed and said it was his fault for setting outside.
    Ever since I do not tolerate customer or children to be in yard and pay very close to my chute. But bringing my insurance up to par for what I do is in the plan for next year. ( been lucky for to long) When I run the loader alot I was covered under a friends insurance since I was "sub contracting"