1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

hoisting license question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by landscapingson, May 13, 2002.

1. landscapingson

landscapingson LawnSite Member
    from Quincy

Im from mass. and Im wondering what is required to get a hoisting license so I can use my bobcat? Plus, where do I get it?

thanks

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

A WHAT?

3. landscapingson

landscapingson LawnSite Member
    from Quincy

I think you need a hoisting license to operate a bobcat am I right

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of anything about a liscense to operate a Bobcat, at least not in my area.

5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

i never heard of any operators license to operate a Bobcat here in NJ... sounds un heard of any wheres considering you can go to any rental store and just walk out with a Bobcat in minutes...

6. Brian Logee

Brian Logee LawnSite Member

I'm from MA, too. I have heard of this new licensing requirment, but I have not had anybody check on it. I know ALCAM was setting up a study course and sponsoring an exam.

7. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

Yes I have my Mass Hoisting license. I took a class when I went to the Aggy now known as NSCC. I 'm rated for 2 b which covers bobcats, backhoes and front end loaders. I believe the guy who gave us our test was from Tewksbury State hospital. The two things you need to do is one contact Dept. of Public safety they issue them. The second thing you need i beleve is someone who has one already that will sponser you. I don't think they really check, but it better safe then sorry. I had a friend running a front end loader moving snow and he got cot by an inspector. Then inspector made him leave the loader right where it was till he got his license.

8. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know what the reason for this new license requirement is? Have their been alot of accidents in Mass. operating this equipment? Just seems weird to have to be licensed for bobcats, and front end loaders.

9. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

It is for hydraulic equipment that can raise an implement over 4 ft i think. That's why snow plows don't need them. this requirment has been around for sometime.

10. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know what the reason for this new license requirement is?

GENERATE REVENUE.

jim