Holding back water

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Edgewater, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for in the search.

I have to build a set of stairs that will go down to a lake. The problem is that the level risies and falls about 12". There will be seven stairs w/ a 6' rise. The steps will be manufactured slabs 6"x16"x48". They look llike natural stone. My question is how do I deal with the two bottom stairs that will be submerged at times. The water in the spring will be at the level of the second step. The good thing is that this is a small inlet about 12 feet wide. Is theere some way that I can hold back the water while I build?

Thanks

Adam

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can build a temp. coffer dam.

3. Edgewater

can you elaborate... thx

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you build a temporary damm out from your wall.

you can use sheets of plywood and plastic, sandbags, etc.. then set up a diaphram pump to geep the water that seeps in pumped out.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to GreenMonster about this. He does it all the time.

Chris

6. Edgewater

Thanks guys, I will PM greenmonster.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Well, I can't really say that this is something we really do. We build on the water, but it's typically after they let the water down, so although it's not atypical for our wall footer to get filled with water, we're not really constructing coffer dams or anything like that -- we're just pumping out a trench.

A coffer dam with sand bags and a pump (or trash pump) might be an easy way to get this done, but it would have to be a fairly small area I would think.

is your area of excavation for base prep under water when you are going to build?

8. BONESTEEL'S

BONESTEEL'S LawnSite Member

I have done this. start to dig out steps & use material to make a berm & then pump out water. Keep digging & keep pumping out water. I have a pic on my website check it out
    www.nynursery.com

[​IMG]

I put the whole bottom course underwater. The blocks were 8" high, total was 4' plus cap. You can only see 5 courses. The water was down when I took the Pic. about 2 months later.

9. Edgewater

GreenMonster,

The steps will be slabs as I mentioned above. I would typicaly put 4-6 inches of stone under each, but in this case the bottom ones will get about 12" beacuse they will be on soft ground. The two bottom steps will be completely submerged at some points in the year.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

The steps being under water isn't a big deal, just make sure the base is completely wrapped in fabric, so it doesn't get undermined and/or washed out. We bermed up material like Bonesteel talked about too. I don't know if that will work in your application or not.