Hole in vinyl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How many have knocked a hole in vinyl siding? What did it cost to fix? I knocked a small hole in a salvage home so it was no big deal but I decided to get a chute blocker. I am just wondering how much repairs like these run, do they replace one piece of vinyl or do they have to remove several pieces to do the repair. I don't plan on finding out but I was just curious. I doubt I would turn this type thing in to the insurance, just pay it and be done. I've been lucky for several years and haven't done any damage to anything but you never know. I think a chute blocker is justified especially with some of my rougher accounts. Comments?

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I ordered one of these. Nice design and they use existing mounting holes on the deck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tacoma200

Looks nice, I don't think I've seen that brand before.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Tacoma- vinyl siding is an easy fix. Go to a wholesale supplier in your area and get the tool they sell for removing the old piece, probably around $8. Take the old piece in and they will be able to match it pretty close. After doing it once you'll be a pro. 5-10 minutes and $5 worth of siding. I became a pro at this and repairing downspouts as soon as I took on employees.

5. tacoma200

I understand (about employees) and thanks for the advice. Thankfully this house is being redone so I don't have to worry but I wanted some advice because many of my properties have vinyl. I have had some with the vinyl all the way down to ground level and a few double wides with vinyl underpinning. Why would anyone use vinyl for underpinning is beyond me.

6. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

I might add that if you damage a piece on the front, it helps to get a piece from the back of the house to replace it. Vinyl fades over time and you want it too match on the front of course, and put the new piece on the back so it isn't as noticeable. At least that is way we have always done, when doing repair jobs for insurance companies, and our own properties.

7. tacoma200

Sounds like your experienced at this? I'm not wanting to be but would like to know just in case. I have a vinyl home and I've put a bout 4 holes in it in 17 years but I have a wooded lot. Lots of twigs, acorns, etc. You never know what your will throw even though I keep the discharge chute pointing away.

8. 12thKY

12thKY LawnSite Member
    from ky

Yes I have done it a time or two, through my regular job. We used to do repairs for a local insurance company, and our own properties. I have a chute blocker so I don't have to do it from mowing lol

9. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

What effect does the chute blocker have on the quality of cut? Are there clumps? Is double cut required to make it look nice?

10. tacoma200

As far as I know there is nothing about quality of cut in this post? Were talking about vinyl repair and preventing it in the first place.

I think I will get a chute blocker to protect walls, flower beds, auto's, etc. Nothing to do with cut quality. I didn't want to get one but I don't want the liability of repairing something. It will be handy for keeping clippping out of places I don't want them also.