hole question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keifer, Jan 31, 2002.

1. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I was planting some shurbs and broke my shovel so i finished the rest of the holes with my tiller. The hole was bigger than normal plus made the dirt more loose and of course was alot easier than with a shovel so my question is what would be wrong with doing this all the time seems it would be better for the roots. Please give any pros cons or comments Thanks

2. As long as you don't tear up the root systems of other plant, it can be done.

It can also be time consuming you still need to shovle the dirt out.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds good if you don't damage anyother rooting systems of trees or shrubs. as long as you weren't under the drip line of a tree you should be fine. by doing what you did you put oxygen into the ground, thats a very good thing, also any nutrients the shrubs need they will be able to get them easier because the soil won't be as compact now.

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Drip line? this may be a dumb question but what is that.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

the drip line of a tree is how far out the branches extend. sorry i dind't clear that up in the post, my professors are pounding us with so much info. right now, it a wonder how i remember it all

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Drip line is the point around the tree to were the branches/foliage extends out too.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lol....I guess me and Joshua responded at the same time!