Holes in lawn

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Azucar, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Azucar

Azucar LawnSite Member

I'm not sure I'm under the correct heading, but here goes:

My home was built 34 years ago. Over the past 3 years, we have developed what I believe to be sinkholes in the back yard. Although neighbors have told us they have the same, we do have one area that is truly looking like a gully, or maybe there was a stream running through there at one time. I know the builder buried stumps of trees back then, but the whole yard looks like it's going down in spots.

What is the proper way to diagnose/remediate the problem? And how costly might this be?

Any help/suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Az

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would probe the yard with a probe rod. It sounds to me like organic matter buried beneath the surface. As far as a solution, you can keep bringin in dirt to fill, or you can dig it up and pull out the problem.

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Your yard has been OK for 31 years and just the last 3 it has started to sink? And the neighbors's lawn is doing the same? This sounds really bad. I would not mess around on a message board. I would call a engineer in your area, who knows the local history. Fast, PR

4. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

I'd fill the holes in and sell the place even faster! Ignorance can be bliss. You may not want to know what is happening.

5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Can You Take some pictures?...It will help Us help you:)

7. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

Just remember that is you get a professional engineer or government agency involved and they officially tell you that you have some form of substantial defect then you may be legally obligated to disclose that information when/if you try sell the house. It's just something to be aware of so procede with caution.