Holiday Cards and Gifts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BSDeality, Dec 15, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious how many of you have experimented with holiday gifts to go with a card. this past leaf cleanup season i got an enormous amount of potential new clients from doing some advertising. I'm not interested in turnin them from one time cleanups to weekly maintenance accounts next season. My original thought was just a holiday card, but then i realized they'll be getting them from every family and friend under the sun, and will most likely just toss them in "the pile."

My next idea came when i literally tripped over the new pointsetta's my mother had bought and planted sporatically around the house. Why not invest a little money in something that will last a bit longer than a card, and also not just get thrown in "the pile"

I went through my address list and screened who i wanted to really impress and try to get as customers as new clients for next season, all in all it was 10 out 12. the 2 others were too far out of my route to be efficent. but the other 10 will make excellent clients due to their close proximity to other well paying accounts.

With that in mind i went out and bought 20 - 6" pointsetta's at homedepot for $3.33/ea. I think that's a fairly cheap investment to attempt to gain them as clients for the next season.

I'm going to hand deliver these to the account s this week just to show my face again before going completely dormant for the winter. each will have a little card on a stake that says To: the XYZ Family From: me. So hopefully when these things do eventually die they'll just get a little refresher on who gave them to them. I'm also including a traditional holiday card as well.

pointsettas.jpg

2. BSDeality

no one has tried something like this? or at least got a comment for me?

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I did that last year.. The customers really liked getting them, but I never really got an expanded service request from them..

I just send cards now.

4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I only send cards this year - to both my clients and my dealer.
    Good Luck
    PC

5. BSDeality

Well, i went out tonight and delivered the pointsetta's and cards. I got a lot of good feedback, plus i definitely "penciled in" a few more accounts already for next season. The only real problem i ran into was about 1/2 of the people weren't home, i assume they were out x-mas shopping. I guess this will take a few attempts to get them all delivered, but i think it will be well worth it.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Great idea BSDeality! Keep us posted as you get more feedback from your customers.

7. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Cards to active and inactive customers (just in case they lost the number), flowers to bigger or longtime accounts and Real Estate companies that have alot of managed property.

8. BSDeality

well, i've mark a few more down for customers for next season :). the wives really love the flowers, the guys are usually "ok... thanks..." and slam the door in your face. but the wives can't get enough.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just sent out cards for the first time this year. I am sure that all of my customers will appreciate that. I hope it makes them realize that each one of them matters.

10. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

made fruit baskets and delivered them today....

oranges, satsumas, apples, bananas, etc with hersheys kisses and peppermint