holiday lighting

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by smarino21, Nov 20, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i wanna do this but have no idea how to charge, do you charge them per stran of lights or what? any help would help me

2. Jlawnmow

Jlawnmow LawnSite Member

Depends on what kind of lights you use, commercial or the cheep stuff from wal-mart or home depot. If you use commercial lights you can charge $1.50-$2.00 a foot!

3. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

for $2 a foot do you leave them there or take them down for that price, do you take them over the summer or do they get them back?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If I were to venture into this blind, then I would not charge THAT much a foot.
    If you own even a small home that could run a person $ 400.00/ $500 bucks. i
    When you are looking for that kind of work around the holidays, just remember people are tight with their money this time of the year. Plus keep in mind the liability problem If you are not carrying enough liability insurance to protect your customer from you suing in the event of your injury, then they will be VERY hesitant to hire you. You are up on a ladder on their property, that means that puts them at risk even if they have homeowners insurance, I mean if you are not insured yourself.
    I would charge by the hour. A fair rate. You use their lights I am sure, if you provided the lights , burnt bulb calls would be a nightmare. Not to mention if your light strand shorts out and burns down the house. Nope I would use their lights (untangled only) and YOUR LADDER.
    NEVER get on a homeowners ladder. I almost burst my noggin on a cement slab 20' down trusting an expensive ladder my client insisted I use one time.
    Use a fiberglass not a metal ladder when doing lights.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I charge my regular labor rate by the hour, I buy the lights for the client I mark them up like any other product. I take them down and pack them for the clients at the end of the year. I store the lights wherever they tell me they want them in the attic the garage the shed.

I only do christmas lights for existing clients. I try and do whatever I can for my existing clients. If I knew of someone that did a better job and charged my clients less I would suggest them, but this I have not seen.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Not trying to beat you up she but that is just my experience.

7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

thats why you have to target a certain price range of customer.
    dont go after the everyday joes, go after the $100,000.00 plus customers!

8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 1.00 per foot just for the lights, not including labor. Then I charge at least another 1.00 per foot, more if steep roof pitch and everything has to be done from ladder. We put up, maintain during season, take down, package, and store at our facility. Like said before if they person is interested in the service they will pay for a good quality service. If you are going to get into this, get in touch with a reputable commercial lighting distributor and don't buy any lighting supplies from Home depot, walmart, etc.

9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

Don't listen to sheshovel $1.75 is our light cost plus clips, timers & ext. cords. Our average job is $1,200.00 and we have houses that pay over 5K for lights. That doesn't include removal, we charge 25% for that. I have a crew that does nothing but lights from late September through December.

10. New Horizons

New Horizons LawnSite Member

If you do not mind me asking how much more insurance cost and is it worth doing it? Here in CT, we have seen few companies that are charging 3K min. on a reg. ranch house and up to 10Ksuch as cape and more light down driveway and more, and you saying 400-500, why such dif.?