1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday Lighting

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by smarino21, Nov 20, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i wanna get into holiday lighting. Any help would be appreciated? How do people charge per stran or hourly? DO you rent the customer the lights or just have them buy them off of you ?

2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

......and how the heck do you get the lights to be soooo straight? Special "light bars"?

Dennis

3. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

Yea, this sounds like a great thing to do in fall to make extra money. I was wondering the same things, hopefully someone can answer these questions.

4. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

use all in 1 clips from a commerdial supplier to get the lights straight. Christmas lights can create an insane amount of money.

5. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

How do you charge for lights, flat rate or monthly. Roughly how much should we charge.

6. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Its hard to say, evergreenedmond helped me get started this year. I have been doing a lot this past couple of weeks. I figured up how much 100 feet roughly cost, then double that, then just figure your time at your rate. Small house we did today was about 165 feet of C9 clear lights and 1500 mini lights for 5 small holly trees. Took me and one of my guys 2.5 hours and charged $507. My cost for products was about $150. I am very small time compared to evergreenedmond but even doing small stuff its great seasonal money. I got rained out today or else we could have done 3 just like this one.

Don't buy the 25' foot cheap lights from walmart, homedepot, lowes, etc... Find a distributor. We buy a 1000' foot roll of wire and cut it to fit our needs, the lights, wire, clips etc, is much better quality.

By the way J, if you read this when you get back from the other side, CONGRATS.

7. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

That project should fetch around 1,000.00 in my opinion. And I am not overpriced.

8. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

If your talking about my job, if you can get more than $70 per man hour, more power to you. You have to remember I'm in Oklahoma, your in NY. This wasn't a hard job, everything done with an 8 foot step ladder, no high, steep roof, pretty basic.

9. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

Being a lower roof would lower the cost. I was also talking about new lights install, removal and boxing.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Probally around 750-900 for here.