1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Holiday Nightmares

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YZJOE23, Dec 13, 2005.

1. YZJOE23

YZJOE23 LawnSite Member

:realmad: I had a call from a customer last nite about one of my guys that ate up some xmas lites along grass area and she wants me to replace all that was broken. I went out there and saw the green wire lites in some juniper and in the grass along the edge. It was hard for me to see and I was looking for them. I said I was sorry and would replace them and told her to keep them off the grass or simply call and say be carfull I put some lites up. This is one of my nice customers, last year I had over 5 people call and be Irate that i clipped or cut some lites. One even wanted me to move all lites and figures off lawn mow and replace ( Sure i'd do it for NOT ! Anyway what do you guys do in these situations ?
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Im not moving ornaments around......I will not mow within 10 feet of them.
  3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

People go crazy with lights here but since cutting ends about oct-nov we do not have that problem.:waving:
  4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

What you did was a good thing. If she was a good/nice customer, bite the bullet and eat the cost for some new lights. They're not that expensive. Next time maybe tell these people around clean-up time that if they have stuff like that out, to try and mark the cords or try to prop them up so that you can see them. The damn cable and phone companies do this to me all the time, and these fools that install these lines never mark the lines, and then when we come across them they expect me to pay for the damage, when they never marked the lines. That stuff is hard to see when you're going full bore across an open feild.:cool:
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ill second that!!
  6. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

And to think I was just saying the other day while blowing off my 42nd driveway "man I wish I was mowing".
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I look at the house before I mow and see if they have decorations up. But green wires on grass???????? This is our fault? And thanks to the person who came up with the idea of the green extention cords instead of orange.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

These days there is so much crap all over the place. Last week I got the trimmer all wrapped up in x mas lights what a pain. My advice is if you see them out on the lawn go slow or stay as far away as possible. They get clumps where the decorations are because I'm not moving them.
  9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a Florida problem for sure. Most of us, even here in MS don't have to worry about green extension cords on green grass this time of the year.