Holiday Thinking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGCummings, Jan 15, 2001.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Folks,

Waiting for the thaw this Monday Morning, the 15th of January and the celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday, got me thinking about planned holidays.

Already, we here at Cummings Lawn & Garden (all of myself!) take off the holidays of Thanksgiving (and the day after), Christmas, New Years Day, Memorial and Labor Day, and the great Day of Independence (affectionately called the Fourth of July :) ). Those are the planned days off, and no amount of coercion by strongarm customers can change this.

Do you have set days off year around? Are they the same as these or different? More or less?

One of the reasons I ask is that during my morning drive to check the thaw, I noticed no other LCOs at work. Normally, there are three on every block, an hour before I start until hours after dusk. ;)

What do you say? Are you in the business of taking holidays off? Are you working today?

-TGC

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I personally have a limited season here in NY. Starts mid march and goes thru Thanksgiving week in Nov. The guys have a three day weekend for Memorial Day(sat-mon). The day off for 4th of July. And then another three day weekend for Labor Day. All paid holidays above and beyond the banked hours.

I personally take my four day break at the end of summer to celebrate my anniversary with the gf of 8 yrs. The rest of the time I am working when the guys are not. These are the days I use to catch up on paperwork and foot traffic around the local nurseries for "P-R".

Not too often but once in a while one of the guy's plans falls thru and the door is open to them for equipment maint. if they want the hours or to work on a personal vehicle if they wish.

How we work it.
    Kris

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Well, Kris, when you put it that way I never really take a day off! I usually get some maintenance or office work done even on weekends, evenings, and holidays unless I'm outta town. In fact, as I write this I'm researching and doing job-costing from last week. ;)

But I get the gist of what you're saying. You do take these holidays from the field, which is what I really wanted to know. :)

Thanks for the response!

How about you others?

-TGC