1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

holidays full of nay sayers and late payers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevenf, Dec 13, 2011.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Every year around November people seem to have the hardest time paying there bill. Last year I had 3 people pay me an October invoice in January. This year I am sending out the third roll over invoice to several people who otherwise pay on time religiously. Slowest part of the year for me and also the time of year I have to put in the most effort to get paid. Anyone else have this problem?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Tis the Season of late payers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have kind of gotten use to some customers paying me late for last bill. Sometimes I don't see the money till the end of January which helps me out having some money then.
  4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here every year. Next year I hope to transition most of my clients to auto-pay. I already mailed surveys and most are on board!
  5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually spend winter tinkering with software's. I setup an online invoicing program. I may give that a try
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have three who own me right now. Two of them told me flat out that money is tight because of christmas. My simple response to them, "does that excuse work for your mortgage?" In a few more weeks they will recieve my letter of intent to file the mechanics lien. That always gets the checks coming in
  7. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I don't work for any one that owes. That way for Thanks Giving the houses of late pays don't get done. They end up calling with check in hand. I take advantage and bill them for the clean up then and there. They do end up owing later but for much less. Lots of $40 and $80 which is much better than $480
  8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent out 32 invoices Mid November. As of today, 8 have come in. December invoices being created as we speak.
  9. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a signed contract and state in it that there is a late fee that will be applied to accounts over (for instance) 30 days from the issuance of the invoice.

We will still get flakes from time to time, but if you have to take legal action you still need agreements in writing.
  10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

The issue with dead beat customers is they'll just find some hack to get the work done, and then your old acct looks like a$$ and you're out you're money.
    Posted via Mobile Device