Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, May 22, 2001.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Curious what people do that have crews about Holidays. Which ones do you take off and which ones you don't. What paid holidays for employees? I know lmy guys are going to ask, but we really can't afford to take a day off during the week or we will get behind. Thaks in advance to the replys.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

The grass doesen know it a holiday, it just keeps
    growin/ & growin /& growin so if i want monday off
    i just work on sunday.:blob3: :alien:
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i avoid working on holidays unless i cut all commercials and i'm behind more than a day. thats it, but i did do a small mulch job ( 8 yards of mulch ) on mothers day this year, they just said the place looked great (funeral home):blob3:
  4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Tell your crew you are going to celebrate the landscapers holiday: Rainday It's a very unpredictable holiday and you usually don't know exactly when it will come since its not on the calendars. Sometimes it doesn't even last a day, although I have seen it celebrates for a week or more at times. People gather and run around with these pointy dome shaped fabrics pointed at the sky (those who don't have them appear to be left out and are embarrassed so they grab a newspaper and hold it over their head). It's kind of like Mardi Gras.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Usually the days that are attributed to the Holiday Seasons for us are:
    MEMORIAL DAY(fri. or mon.) - 4th JULY(weekday) - LABOR DAY(fri. or mon.) - T'GIVING(thrs.) - X'MAS(weekday)

If they request a work day on a Holiday we line up something commercial for them to do. I try to stay out of the residential neighborhoods during these times to be respectful to the homeowners who are relaxing and enjoying the day off.

This year because of the rain days this week we will be working on Monday and the crews will get double time for chosing to come in on a Holiday.

Where Cinnamon works her employer is giving out TRIPLE time for Monday to those employees who have worked a full 40 hrs this week. The only Holiday I would consider the triple time for is X'MAS if we have a storm and they must work to keep things open and/or operational.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I believe employees need holidays....might have to bust your $ss the next week but that's the way it is... as far as rain days...just doesn't cut it in a employees mind....those are not days that they can plan anything in advance to do with there familys.... if you feel you must work it then offer extra loot to anyone who comes in.
  7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Now, I don't have a crew, but I have an unqualified opinion about everything. ;)

As a solo operator, I take holidays off. Pretty much the same ones mentioned by kutnkru above. I also keep a day set aside each week for maintenance, repairs, errands, etc. When the holiday comes around, I use that open day to get the yards done in lieu of the holiday, and let maintenance ride for a week (except blade sharpening and any critical necessities). As I expand, I hope to keep that schedule intact. I know I enjoy taking weekends and holidays and spending them with family and friends, and I'd want my employees to enjoy that same benefit.

8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention I was kidding about the rain holiday.
    (It's not a real holiday....I made it up). :jester:

9. SLC1

SLC1 Guest

We dont work holidays, the guys need time off, we will just work a little bit harder and longer next Tues-Sat to make up for taking time off. What is the sense in working so hard and making money if you cant enjoy a little time off. All our employees get paid holidays and one week paid vacation after one year. Holidays are Memorial, July 4th,Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, and the vacation they usually take in the winter or late fall, early spring, I have worked far too many weekends and holidays over the past ten years that now i enjoy having a day off. Just My two Cents
  10. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I will mow my commerical accouts on the holidays if I need to catch up. Otherwise will do equipment maintenance. Maybe I'll even mow my own yard.