1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

holly tree

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by skurkp, Mar 30, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I was called to look at relocating a holly tree. The tree is about 15 ft tall and sets 2-3 from a garage. It has two trunks both about 3-4" dia. There is no room for equipment so hand digging is how it's going to go. I really don't have a clue on how big of a root ball to make, please help. Should I put something in the hole before placing the tree in it's new location for feed or root stimulation?
  2. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Curious to see if you guarantee survival of the tree after transplant! I regards to the root ball, go bigggg..
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i would need more measurement in specific areas of the tree to tell you how big of a root ball you would need but lets just say its going to be anywhere from 4-6 feet or more.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

One foot per inch of caliper.
  5. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Actually I advised the homeowner to cut the tree and plant a new one and he asked would we try to relocate the tree. I explained that we could and we would not be accountable for any of the plants that he is asking to be moved. I am going to be speaking to him on Monday and I am going to advise that we cut it down and purchase a new tree.