Holt CAT Land Clearing Modifications w/PICS

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CarterKraft, Feb 9, 2008.

1. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pictures of a 256C at the recent 2008 Ft. Worth Stock Show booth.

HOLT CAT's values based operating philosophy is governed by our company's Mission, Vision and Core Business Values.

One of the Values is Excellence- "By continually getting better"

This shows in all aspects of the business but especially in product improvements. Holt has allot of CCE customers who perfrom very different tasks, early on we learned that a stock Skid-Steer would need some minor improvements to operate efficently in brusch cutting/mulching applications. Each store has strived to perform a list of mods to machines in there area and then collectivly we apply these mods to the machines. These pictures represent some of the latest but by no means the last of the improvements.

SSL Land TamerPrep 001 (Small).jpg

SSL Land TamerPrep 002 (Small).jpg

SSL Land TamerPrep 003 (Small).jpg

SSL Land TamerPrep 004 (Small).jpg

SSL Land TamerPrep 005 (Small).jpg

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Those HOLT people are seriously talented. I like the rear screen idea, that's got to be an expensive job though.

3. CarterKraft

more pics for above

SSL Land TamerPrep 006 (Small).jpg

SSL Land TamerPrep 007 (Small).jpg

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I dunno about the rear screen. One cedar tree stop could poke a hole through that. Why is the screen there? for better breathing?

5. bobcat_ron

Yup, now all the entry points between the cab and engine are sealed off so the air has to come from somewhere.

6. bobcat_ron

BTW, get those pics over to HEF!

7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the guard over the exhaust. That is a easy entry for stuff to fall down in their around the hot muffler.

8. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I know that screen won't last. It can't down here where we have ashe juniper. they are too bushy and pokey and very tough. Those trees are responsible for most of the damage and machine fires that I know of. On the Bobcat, with the solid rear door, you have more protection. The CAT door was solid but unless that screen is super tough, I don't think it can hold up to the pokey cedars. The woods are so dense here, trees are big, and often you have hard, dead branches waiting to poke out a window or in this case, a screen.
    I like th whiskers on over the boom openings. Dunno about the vinyl air filter covers. Again, bushy cedars are rough on everything. I think they do those mods in Waco or at least developed them there from a lot of input. I commend them for trying to fix the issue and stop the machine fires.

9. CarterKraft

Like I said the mods are very much application specific.

Those mods were developed in Lewisville and are probally correct for the application.

I have packaged many of the B-series machines even refining the CAT debris barrier to allow the cab to be raised and lowered without removing any gaurds. We work with the customer to get he machine they want.

Something I don't have pictures of right now is the bored out and upsized quick coupler manifolds. We bore the manifolds to 3/4" ID and port them for -12 fittings instead of the -10. We also run the A-series high flow couplers which are larger than b or c series. We also remove a shuttle valve in the pump signal line to allow for quicker recovery and higher initial starting power on heavy drum cutting tools.

The coupler mods lower hyd oil temps when grinding all day, something not required for normal skid steer operation.

10. qzilla

qzilla LawnSite Member
    from TX

I looked at the "Screen" and it is not really a screen. It is welded, heavy expanded metal.

If you were to tear it up it would shock me. This is only after seeing it in person at the stock show.

The idea behind it is that since they sealed the door up, you would be suckin air straight out of the bottom where tracks are throwing dirt up. By venting the rear door it allows for fresh air to go over the coolers. So the guy told me.